Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor Performance In InDesign When Connected to Server

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been having performance issues with InDesign that tend to occur later in the afternoon. My work's IT department says that newer versions of InDesign check for linked images on a server at scheduled intervals, and since everyone's InDesign is checking at the same time it is overrunning the servers and causing the performance issues. I am a bit skeptical of that explanation. Is this truly a new feature of InDesign, and if so, can it be disabled?

Thanks for the help.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

I'm not convinced that is the truth. 

It might be that the servers are busy at a certain time - perhaps doing a backup or syncing to something else.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/graphics-links.html

Find missing links

By default, InDesign checks for missing links and tries to resolve them when you open a document. Two preference options let InDesign check for and find missing links automatically when you open a document.

Check Links Before Opening Document

If you turn off

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @artdes1345,

It could be your Preflight is on and is checking for Modified or Missing links, try turning the Preflight off to see if that improves the performance.

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight is off by default, view settings are typical, so I know it's not that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not convinced that is the truth. 

It might be that the servers are busy at a certain time - perhaps doing a backup or syncing to something else.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/graphics-links.html

Find missing links

By default, InDesign checks for missing links and tries to resolve them when you open a document. Two preference options let InDesign check for and find missing links automatically when you open a document.

Check Links Before Opening Document

If you turn off this option, InDesign opens the document immediately, and the link statuses remain pending until links are determined to be up-to-date, missing, or modified. If you turn on this option, InDesign checks for modified or missing links.

Find Missing Links Before Opening Document

If you turn off this option, InDesign does not attempt to resolve the missing links. You may want to turn off this option if links slow performance to a server or if unexpected linkings occur. This option is dimmed if Check Links Before Opening Document is turned off.

Search For Missing Links

Use the Search For Missing Links command to search for and resolve missing links in your document. This command is useful if you turned off the preferences option that checks for missing links when you open a document, and now you have missing links. This command is also useful if you mount a server where images are stored after opening a document.

• To change link settings, open the File Handling section of the Preferences dialog box, and determine whether the Check Links Before Opening Document and Find Missing Links Before Opening Document options are selected.
  • To let InDesign attempt to resolve missing links, choose Utilities > Search For Missing Links from the Links panel menu.

This command is dimmed if the document contains no missing links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you more or less confirming that InDesign hasn't suddenly started pinging servers at scheduled intervals (prebuilt into the program since they claim every InDesign user is pinging the server at the same set times). I have amazing internet and a high end 2020 iMac so I just can't believe the performance is on my end, this happens even when smaller files are being worked on and also every one of my coworkers connected to the server experiences the slowness at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Me personally as an InDesign user like yourself, it sounds like the server is busy at this time, backing up, syncing or whatever it's doing.

I cannot imagine it's a set time. And I don't think it's on the user end.

I do think it's something on the server.

But I have zero knowledge of your setup, your server, or anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I agree with @Eugene Tyson completely. Server protocol/configuration needs to be checked here. I'd also request you to check out this community post(https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/heavy-server-problems-with-indesign/td-p/9894940) & follow the suggestions here.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines