Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Postscript trouble in InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some troubles to print a PostScript file with InDesign CC 2017.
When I open the print menu, I choose "PostScript®" printer, the PPD is Device-independent

but I cannot change the Format…
So, when put my PS file in Distiller, my PDF file is completely cropped up…

What can I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Don't use PostScript any more. No EPS, no PDF via print.

Use PDF/X-4 and use export to create PDFs. There is not even one reason to use PostScript to create a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use PostScript any more. No EPS, no PDF via print.

Use PDF/X-4 and use export to create PDFs. There is not even one reason to use PostScript to create a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dov+Isaacs  wrote

Amen!

- Dov

🙂

But if you absolutely* have to print to PostScript you could get the PPD from my Dropbox account:

Dropbox - ADPDF9.PPD.zip

ADPDF9.PPD.zip

ADPDF9.PPD

Just create a folder exactly named PPDs in the Presets folder of your InDesign installation and copy the ADPDF9.PPD file to it.

* there could be some cases where it's ok to have a fall-back to that old and depricated workflow distilling a PostScript file to PDF: Re: PDF über "exportieren" falsch // PDF über Postscript und Distiller richtig

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2020 almost 2021 and that answer is still absolute b*ll*cks.  If you are an independent contractor/user/designer, don't have the ppd file/ endpoint printer profiles  in the print booklet  > set up screen and adobe STILL doesn't provide easy simple ways to find them, add them, adjust the settings and the settings won't adjust even when you change the page size to something like 11x17 for a 20 month calendar .... then you absolutely have no clue what designers and users are going through in the real world.

I totally hate absolutist, non-contextualized, rigid, black/white, either/or answers from know-it-all people who are not authoritatively informed and think they know everything. So fricking annoying. So UNHELPFUL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe 9.0 PPD Uwe posted still works. Here is the Adobe page. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed. "Device independent" is a PPD for special purposes, and does not support any page sizes, as page sizes are not device independent. Of course, if you are printing to an actual printer you must not use anything but the right PPD. If you are printing to Distill (really, very very strongly advised against), then use the Distiller PPD as noted - but ONLY if you're going to Distill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution still does not work for me. I've been trying for three days and installing the PPDs folder  under presets isn't changing anything in the Print Booklet windowand i cannot change the page size and layout when creating a booklet PDF. 

Before someone says something about using PDFs instead- I'm creating a book with signatures and using Print Bookleet is the only way to do that.

My file is design for an 8.5x11 sheet, I just cannot get it to not be portrait orientation. 

Someone please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 11.10.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 11.09.10 AM.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using? It’s working for me on Mojave—maybe it’s a permissions problem.

You can try this JS which exports simple imposed signatures. I’ve tested in-house, but this is the first time I’ve posted it, so check the PDF carefully.

The dialog:

Screen Shot 19.pngScreen Shot 20.png

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/3bfdb004-f188-4f3d-5904-d82dd8f8e2d1

The exported PDF get saved in the same directory as the ID file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Big Sur. 

Sorry, what's a JS?

This looks promising- but I can't find anywhere in Acrobat that says "Export Printer Spreads." Do I have to download an imposition something? (I'm not familiar with Acrobat and have only used Indesign's functions so I'm still rusty)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The link is to a Javascript. Download BookletImpositionPB.jsx, copy it into your Scripts folder, and it will show in your Scripts panel—Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign 2021⁩ ▸ ⁨Scripts⁩ ▸ ⁨Scripts Panel⁩

Double click in the scripts panel to run and the exported PDF will be saved in the ID file’s directory.

Imposition really should be handled by the printer, so if you are exporting and deleivering an imposed document make sure you get a bound dummy from the printer before going to press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, clearly InDesign isn't seeing the PPD. This is the problem you need to solve - there's nothing wrong with the Device Independent PPD.  It's a long shot, but I assume in those three days you have restarted InDesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B*ll*cks as well Geekc, you can do all this with the PDF right there in Acrobat Pro.

(Edit: missed the date, this one is old)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines