Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent from editing preflight profile

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any possible way to prevent a indesign user from editing of loaded preflight profile like '[Basic] working' profile.

Thanks,

Singaaram.

TOPICS
Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of problem you think you will encounter if he does? When he edit it, he can save it only with different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Singaaram,

well, the [Basic] preflight profile cannot be edited.

But of course every user is able to switch to a different profile. Or do its own.

Or turn off the function altogether.

Hm…

I could think about a script that is watching the used profile and is loading a different one, if that changes.

That requires an event handler that is looking after the preflight function in idle moments ( one option ) .

The question is: can that be reliable? And what happens if the user does nothing for a while, let's say for some minutes. Will the idle event listener still work then?

See into this discussion how you could do an idle task on app:

ID2021 scripting: Idle task falls silent
vnh68, Apr 19, 2021
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/id2021-scripting-idle-task-falls-silent/m-p/1197...

Note: The whole script has to be a startup script.

Just to give you an idea,

Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Willi Adelberger@Laubender,

Thanks for response.

What I mean is, I am loading a custom profile that created for the project and I don't wanna edit it again by the others. Can that be hidden as like [Basic] profile.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alternatively, you might be able to use another event listener (beforePrint, for example) to check for the conditions you are trying to enforce with your preflight profile. 

Say you have a designer who thinks that Rich Black sounds like a good idea. Your preflight profile can say otherwise, but the designer can change that or simply ignore it.

But  you can use an event listener to  to check the Rich Black settings (iirc, it's idealizedBlack In JavaScript). Then you can change it to the proper setting, scold the designer for meddling with it, write out a log file that tells you which designers are doing it, whatever. 

In my InDesign world, event listeners like this are kept in the applications Startup Scripts folder, to which the designers have no access. So they can't disable them. I've not actually used the beforeSave event because we print via server, but you can do a lot with afterOpen, beforeClose, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am loading a custom profile that created for the project and I don't wanna edit it again by the others."

Well, no, you cannot keep if from being edited.

Therefore the idea to change it back or to load it anew during an idle moment.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines