• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Primary Text Frame

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of converting a couple hundred page word doc file into an indesign file, one chapter at a time. An adobe instructor led me to use the "place" function for "easy" (ha) conversion from word doc. As expected, this creates a roughly 8 page document as a starting point. Throughout, we insert page breaks to meet our needs of spacing it out to our liking (spacing is highly custom with images and design). 

That context said, the rolling text frame has been complicating for two reasons: 

1. When I want to add several line breaks, say to accomodate for an image placement, some of the text bumps to the next page, naturally. That is ok, but all of the images stay stationary. (They are not embedded in the text box). This gets compilcated when I want to drastically change the layout. I have to manually move all the images from page to page from that point to the end. Very frustrating. 

2. We are in the necessary habit of  "duplicating" pages when we want to play with a couple of different ways to layout the page or a couple of different images we want to experiment with. With the rolling text box/primary text frame, this has become very confusing. The duplicated page functions independenly from the original page (with the rolling feature). So if I want to keep/save the duplicated page layout, I would delete the original page, but that doesn't actually delete the text because it is rolling. (I'd like to retain the ability to do this as we often have multiple ideas to compare, or if we make big changes to the page--we like to easily go back to how it was by duplicating first and creating a backup.)

All this to say, the rolling text frame is excellent, but only for placement. When I am in design mode, it has become extremely unfavorable. Is there a way to freeze all the text frames so to speak-- making them all independent and no longer linked? I like the feature for import, but not design. 

Head is spinning. Thanks in advance for any tips. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get images flowing with text - you need to place them inside the text - select image, Ctrl+C, put text cursor in text, Ctrl+V.

2nd part of your question - just save your current version, close, make a copy of the whole INDD file and work on it - if you don't like the outcome - just go back to the saved version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first point: there is a difference between the 'Return' key, which creates a new line, and the 'Enter' key on your numeric keyboard on the right, which creates a 'to next column/page' action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've missed the point šŸ˜‰

The problem isn't with text jumping around because of the numeric Enter - but because of the extra empty paragraphs that were inserted to make space for images that are not anchored/inline.

Of course, if images locations were static - Text Wrap would be the right way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could well be, you use such non-standard terms like 'rolling text' and 'freeze', so I had to do some guessing on what you meant šŸ˜‰

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah no, not you, the OP šŸ˜‰

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article may help you understand the way Primary Text Frames work:

https://creativepro.com/indesign-basics-primary-text-frames/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should never use several returns for any pupose. This is a NO.

In your case, anchor the image in a paragraph with a style with auto leading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines