Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printed document does not match the original

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

when printing a document in Adobe InDesign (17.2.1 x64) the printed result doesnt match the original project.
It seems like its just printing the head several times on one printed page.
I tried to print a few other files but the problem reoccurs.

I tried to print to other printers (like AdobePDF, PDF24 or some hardware printer) but nothing changes.

I tried exporting the project as .pdf and... it works!

So its almost like the AdobeInDesign printing feature doesnt want to do his job or there is some option I dont know about.

Does anyone know this behavior of Adobe InDesign and can provide some help?

Thank you in advance and Best regards
J.

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Hi @Jay___ , I didn’t have any problem printing your project.indd file, so it could be a problem with your printer’s driver software.

In almost all cases the Export dialog produces a better PDF than printing a postscript file, but if you want to print a PDF, make sure you have the Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD installed in your InDesign application folder and set it as the PPD for the PostScript file output.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Screen Shot 45.png

Also, whether cutting and pasting

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the normal way: Export to PDF and print from Acrobat.

We do not know what printer you are using and what technique the printer requires. I never print directly from InDesign and honestly I don't know anyone who does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked into your file. It says pasted graphic. I hope this is not the way you are used to work. Do not paste graphics. Import them via File > Place … 

This is an additional cause for bad printing.

I hope you will never create PDFs via print. Use only the export functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies Willi.

Originally I wanted to print the project on paper. But it makes no difference which printer I select.
The result is the same.

I just wanted to make it clear, that the problem isnt depentend on what printer i use.

You are right, I copied the file in Adobe InDesign. I didnt know, that InDesign has such an issue with that way to work. Thanks for letting me know.
I also tried your way with File > Place ... and the result is still the same.
The printed document is still not correct.

So you say the way to go is Export File > then open the exported file in Adobe Reader/Acrobat and print it there?

That doesnt sound like best practice to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export to PDF is the correct way to go. It costs no time. Tick the option to show in Acrobat. It opens immediately and will print much faster than it would ever do in InDesign. Make a preset for PDF expor, a Joboption which fits best to your printer.

Believe me, that is the best practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Jay___ , I didn’t have any problem printing your project.indd file, so it could be a problem with your printer’s driver software.

In almost all cases the Export dialog produces a better PDF than printing a postscript file, but if you want to print a PDF, make sure you have the Adobe PDF 9.0 PPD installed in your InDesign application folder and set it as the PPD for the PostScript file output.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Screen Shot 45.png

Also, whether cutting and pasting from another application causes problems might depend on your OS—MacOS and OSX sets the clipboard contents as high quality PDF. The OSX clipboard keeps the color space and full resolution, but it’s harder to edit the original, which is the advantage of a placed link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines