• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing a document without a sidebar

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a document with multiple pages with a sidebar that I set up on parent pages. I want to set it up so the side bar shows up on screen but then will print at 8.5 X 11 inches without the side bar. (I want to set it up so it automatically prints this way so that it's easy for whoever wants to download and print the file.)

I tried turning the side panel into a button and then selected "non printing" under attibutes but it leaves a blank space where the sidebar was since my document is sized at 12 X 11 inches to account for the side bar. 

I have the side bar on it's own layer and tried to see if I could change the settings in Acrobat under layers but Acrobat does not show mutiple layers. 

Is there a feature within Indesign or Acrobat that can do this?

Thank you

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar project, a book (classic reprint) that has an annotation sidebar on the outer margin. Printed at 9x8, the book has the annotations. Printed at 9x6, it does not, and it all works from the same master file.

Unfortunately, I have never found any way to manage this, for print or on screen use, other than two separate PDF files. It's just barely possible that interactive PDF coupled with Javascript could force the PDF to print at a trimmed size, but as printing is pretty "robust" and integral to both Reader and most systems... I'll be surprised.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I wish there was a simpler way. I haven't used Javascript before but can give it a try. Is there a code you refer to? I'm completely new to coding so I suppose this may a complicated answer since my document is different. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no useful experience for this, but there are some first-rate script and automation folks on here. I'm betting, though, that printing is so "encapsulated" and idiot-proofed that trying to override the page size and crop will be difficult, if not locked to a specific print driver. But maybe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your help. Hopefully more printing options can be a feature on InDesign in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried the sidebar in a bleed or slug zone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a clever idea (a side slug margin) but it still wouldn't allow printing something different from the display.

About the only thing that's occurred to me is to use one version for display and print another, using some kind of clever interactive call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good idea. Like an interactive button for the print version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jamieb35960912 :

How about setting up an Alternate Layout? When you create it, you can link the stories so that editing the parent story will update the second story. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/alternate-layouts-liquid-layouts.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I am misreading the OP's intent, he wants a distributable doc that will display one way (with the sidebar) but print differently (without it). The various live-document suggestions are good, but I don't think they lead to a solution for distributed or end users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set a portion to be printed in Acrobat

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-portion-page-acrobat-reader.html

However, I have not tested this, and I don't know if you can embed this or add it to a button for 'Print' function in Acrobat.

That being said, people will use 3rd party readers, like Mac Preview, Foxit Reader, Chrome Reader, etc. that are not compliant with all PDF modules. 

My idea is not tested but.

Place your 12x11 file into an 8x11 file and crop the sidebar.

That is create a new file at 8x11 and use File Place to place the pages

Then you this is your linked file - so you edit your sidebar version.

Open the nonsidebar version and update the links.

On the non-sidebar version - you can Publish Online

Copy the URL

On the sidebar version - have a link to the Online Version using the URL

People can print from there. 

Rudimentary - and not tested. 

But could work with very little setup and easy updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I fully understand. Would there be two versions and the side bar version would have a link to the non side bar version for someone to print? That is a good idea. Initially I was hoping for just one version but sounds like it could be a workaround with maybe one extra click (if I understand correctly.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes precisely.

Sidebar version as normal

Another version with publish online.

Actually someone else mentioned slug.

This might work as a singular document. If you put the sidebar in the slug.

Then publish online. It shouldnt take the slug area.

So copy the link here.

When updating, publish online and export to PDF.

The link in the pdf sidebar version would link to the publish online version for printing.

Either way.

My pref would be two docs. So you purposefully open, update and publish both.

Up to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's good idea. I'm considering the two docs option. I appreciate your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines