Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

printing booklet with centre spread in portrait

New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have created an 8 page booklet with the centre spread in landscape mode.

It does not print that way, the centre spread appears off the page no matter how I rotate the masters and the pages themselves.

If I have explained this well enough maybe someone can help with the format required so I can print the booklet.

If I use a pdf version the printer charges me colour for all pages, Indesign only charges for colour pages and mono for the others.

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Oh, I can send it again at CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you make two new portrait pages, cut the contents of the landscape pages, paste them into the portrait pages and rotate them, then delete the landscape pages.

As to the color, if you turn off the black, only 2, 6 & 7 have no color other than black. Is that what you had intended? Are you say they are charging you for color in those 3 pages also if you send a PDF? How are you making the PDF? Is this being printed digitally, or on press?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for these comments.

I have, for the centre spread, inserted pdf of the pages and rotated them but Indesign doesn't seem to care what I do with that.

I created pdf file using Nitro pro v12.

I'd have to look at how I turn off black as you suggest - I need 2,3, 6,7 to be black only.

My printer contract charges a rate for A4 colour and a lesser rate for A4 black. The printer identifies the colour v black. the Nitro pro doesn't tell the printer that two pages are black.

I've just started thinking of making a book and then having the centre spread as a subset of the book. Long time since I've done a book (350 pages back then). Don't know if it will work but I've a couple of weeks to get it right before the next program is required.

cheers

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My printer contract charges a rate for A4 colour and a lesser rate for A4 black. The printer identifies the colour v black. the Nitro pro doesn't tell the printer that two pages are black.

When you export a PDF do not include any printer marks—crop marks export as 4-color. Also, the images on page 3 are in RGB mode so that page will include all 4-colors. You can open Separation Previe and turn off the Black separation plate to see what pages include color objects:

Screen Shot 3.png

The page 3 images are in RGB mode and need to be saved as Grayscales in order to print as black only

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great advice. I had saved the images as grayscale in Photoshop, but that obviously fell short of some standard somewhere.

Also, I knew the separation technique a long time ago and had forgotten how to do it. Thanks for that . I was sitting here trying to work out what it was we had done ... in 2006 ... but the memory wouldn't work.

I've had to ramp up my working knowledge after many years just doing ordinary pages and printing.

This forum has been most educative.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose for using print booklet? It uses postscript and as you know, with InDesign you should avoid EPS and PostScript.

If you want to print the file, create a PDF and let the printer do the imposing, it is not the task of the designer. Your task should be to create a clean file, formatted with styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simply, the pdf doesn't send the correct signal to the printer. I get charged much more for printing colour than black and Indesign does differentiate. So I'd rather solve the centre spread issue and save a minimum of $35 every print run.

Thanks for telling me my job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please check this file? As far as I understood, it should be fine now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have said, I only have CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bound books generally need to be setup as single facing pages with the width and height set to the final trim size.

A facing page document can be output or exported as spreads by clicking the Spreads option in the General tab. The output orientation is set in the Print dialog’s Setup tab, there’s no need to rotate the document pages or page view. Rotating the spread view is useful for designing things like calenders where the spine is at the top of the document, but it doesn’t actually rotate the spread itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm learning extra details each day. Up to now I've done basic posters, ordinary print jobs etc.

It's exciting but also a minefield!

cheers

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignoring all the talk about printing some pages in color and others in b&w for the moment......

The issue here with your file is that I think you are confused what Rotate does with pages in Pages Panel. It only rotates how you VIEW a page, not the way it will be printed.

You created two master pages for your p4 an 5 that are different than the rest of the document (i.e they are A4 landcape); instead, you should have left them as portrait like the rest of your document, and then select and rotate all the items on those pages and rotate that instead. THEN to make it easier for you to work on them, you can Rotate the page view. Again, this only affects your view of p4 and 5.. they will print the way you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your excellent assistance. The one issue that stops me going further is I am using CS6 and cannot open the file. I was so excited to open up the computer and work on it ... but I had to stay with CS6 because I no longer make $$ from this work.

BTW I have a Konica Minolta C360 printer and don't mind the borders etc for the jobs I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I can send it again at CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is brilliant, thank you.

I have six more programs to do before the season ends and that's another lesson learned.

This forum has been fantastic, and some of the not quite related comments have taught me stuff as well.

My regards to you all

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines