• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

printing error: problem initializing the current printer. check the system print settings.

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im stuck...

i have followed the following steps... and doesn't solve my problem

1. Go to File-> click Print Presets

2. click Define -> click Edit

3. Change Printer: If it was Postscript files or PDF change to -> Default Printer(or actual printer that you have).

4. Click OK button Click OK button again.

5. go to Print Booklet and Click Print Settings

6. Change Printer: Adobe PDF and print...

i am trying to print from InDesign to a PDF, non booklet format for proofing. and for lower res for web use.

i have no problem printing PDF in booklet format and a press PDF for printing.

makes no since to me cuz it just started happening. no updates or anything.

Windows 7

Indesign CC

13.0.1 x64

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

For this:

. . . from InDesign to a PDF, non booklet format for proofing. and for lower res for web use.

You should be exporting to PDF, not printing.

I know that does nothing to troubleshoot the print error, but that wouldn't be worth your time, or mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this:

. . . from InDesign to a PDF, non booklet format for proofing. and for lower res for web use.

You should be exporting to PDF, not printing.

I know that does nothing to troubleshoot the print error, but that wouldn't be worth your time, or mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree with this response. Exporting to PDF is one way. Print Booklet to PDF is another way and is commonly used when preparing a multipage booklet for print purposes. For example, this takes my facing pages booklet and shifts everything around so that it prints on the correct pages. For example... the first page in the document and the last page in the document need to print on a single 11x17 sheet - using the print-booklet feature prepares the PDF in such a way that is print-ready. 

I have always used the Print Booklet feature with no issues. Only November 2022 I've been experiencing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commonly? I disagree with that. It was never intended to be used that way. If you've gotten away with it that's great, but it's time to adjust your workflow.

That said, I would recommend that instead of hijacking an almost five year old post, you create a new discussion with full details on what you're trying to do including full versions of your applications and operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the time of this post is irrelevant. I'm not hijacking but looking for answers myself with regards to this exact issue. 
It's common practice to use booklet printing when printing a multipage document. The setup is exactly what's used in print of this kind. 
Regardless.. nothing in this feed resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does matter, but if you want to sit and wait for others to revisit a five-year-old post instead of posting a new detailed one, that is your prerogative. But I can assure you...it is NOT common practice in the year 2022 to effectively distill a PDF. I can also assure you that nothing has changed beyond Apple's decision to cripple this quite a few years ago.

The fix for that is in Rob Day's answer from March 12, 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteRegardless.. nothing in this feed resolves the issue.

What issue? You simply stepped in an launched some sort of defense of printing to PDF as a means of imposition. You never stated what issue you're encountering. The original post relates an issue that is indeed resolved by exporting rather than printing, and was not about printing to booklet.

i have no problem printing PDF in booklet format...

i am trying to print from InDesign to a PDF, non booklet format...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact error message I received is what led me to this post

Get Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But...unlike the original poster, you're using Print Booklet when you see the error, right?

So as BobLevine rightly pointed out above...

The fix for that is in Rob Day's answer from March 12, 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reliably print a PDF from the Print Booklet dialog you'll need the Acrobat9 PPD installed. There's a link to the PPD in this thread.

Re: Print booklet to post script does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines