• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem placing EPS logo with RGB swatches into INDD file for Web - swatches convert to CMYK

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello – I have an INDD document with Document Settings > Intent set to Web.  Swatches are all RGB.  I try to place a logo file into the document – an EPS file that was built for screens, with RGB swatches – but INDD is converting the RGB colors in the logo to CMYK.  I now have CMYK swatches in my swatch panel that are associated with the logo.

I've tried placing other RGB logos in this document and the same thing happens.  I have never had this issue before and can't figure out how to fix it.  Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

EPS is both obsolete (by decades, really) and never should have been "created for screens."

Convert it to AI or PDF and place it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Hi @Steven_Y. , there is no usage for Spot colors with web applications, Spots are only useful for running extra separation plates on an offset press, so you should change the swatches from Spot to Process, assign the sRGB profile to the AI document (all the major web browsers default to sRGB as the HTML color space), Save As to the .AI file format, and embed the profile:

Screen Shot 13.pngScreen Shot 14.pngScreen Shot 15.png

An Export to Interactive PDF. AcrobatPro’s Object Inspector:

Screen Shot 16.png

For handling brand color conversions and color m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Steven_Y. Can you share the logo?You can attach it to a reply.

Illustrator EPS files can’t be saved with a color profile, so its color appearance could change when it is placed in an InDesign document if the ID document’s assigned RGB profile doesn’t match the Illustrator Color Settings’ Working RGB space.

If color management matters to you , stop using EPS and use the .AI format. RGB files should always be saved with an embedded profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another weird wrinkle:  I saved the EPS logo as an AI logo per @rob day's and @James Gifford—NitroPress's suggestion, with Embedded Color Profile, and placed it in the INDD file.  It worked fine - no CMYK swatches (thank you guys!).  I then tried placing the EPS logo file again, just to see what would happen...and it came in fine.  Only RGB swatches, no CMYK.  Bizarre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many reasons, you will find it worth the time to convert EPS files to AI. Take the time to make sure things like the color profiles are correct, and tidy up bounding boxes and the like, and you'll essentially never have problems with the file again, no matter what the alignment of the swamp gas rays reflecting off of Venus, etc.

PDF is a little more universal than AI; you might make it a practice to export your polished AI to PDF just to have both versions on hand.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I then tried placing the EPS logo file again, just to see what would happen...and it came in fine. Only RGB swatches, no CMYK. Bizarre.

When you Place (not Paste) either an .AI or .EPS, no Swatches would be created unless the Illustrator file contained Spot colors. Does the file use Spot colors?

Also, there isn’t a way to sample the actual process colors in a Placed file with the Eyedropper or other tool, so I’m not sure how you are determining that the colors are not RGB? Share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob.  EPS logo file atached.  When I open the EPS in AI, I see the swatches are spot not process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and if it's not already obvious, I am not a graphic designer by trade :).  Our marketing program is largely DIY.  We went through a rebrand recently and created tons of new logo files at different resolutions, color spaces, file types, etc.  If it makes more sense to pull in a different file type (such as AI) when building things like screens, digital ads, flyers, etc., I can certainly do that going forward.  Historically, my predecessors pulled in EPS logo files to their INDD projects, so I've just been doing that by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Steven_Y. , there is no usage for Spot colors with web applications, Spots are only useful for running extra separation plates on an offset press, so you should change the swatches from Spot to Process, assign the sRGB profile to the AI document (all the major web browsers default to sRGB as the HTML color space), Save As to the .AI file format, and embed the profile:

Screen Shot 13.pngScreen Shot 14.pngScreen Shot 15.png

An Export to Interactive PDF. AcrobatPro’s Object Inspector:

Screen Shot 16.png

For handling brand color conversions and color management this might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/branding-color-guide/td-p/10818696

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing this expertise, Rob; very kind of you.  I really apprecaite it.  I'll try this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EPS is both obsolete (by decades, really) and never should have been "created for screens."

Convert it to AI or PDF and place it.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Document transparency blend space also set to RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines