Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem printing pdf, stuck at flattening

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a pdf that won't print from Adobe Acrobat Reader. The problem seems to be transparancy/flattening issues with Illustrator links in the inDesignfile from which the pdf is exported from. 

The inDesign file in question has multiple links - photos, .ai and .ps files. The .ai-files seems to be the issue. 

We have for the project created an illustrative over an area and use the same .ai-file multiple times - all zoomed in to various degree to show different details in the plan. The plan, as it is supposed to be illustrative, has multiple shadows and different fills which are transparent to various degree. 

So I have multiple of this specific link in my inDesign file. When I then later try to export this - whether it is high or basic quality it takes up to 30 min, furthermore when I try to print it from Acrobat Reader it gets stuck on flattening for a long while on EVERY instance of the plan and then in the end fails to print it. 

I have tried googling various solutions but cannot seem to find a solution. For this particular project I had to instead do printscreens (quicker than exporting individual files with the right detail showing) and replacing the .ai links with these. This solved the whole issue with both export and print. I guess I created "dead" images pre-flattened. 

My question is - is there anyway to link an .ai file without having this issue in the future?

Regards 

Fredrik

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

From Illustrator, export the PDF file (not .ai) as: Compatibility / Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3), so transparencies will be flattened.

This will prevent InDesign or Acrobat from using too many calculation loops.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more information about the file and your system: Please provide an image of the file. What is the file size. Provide information about your system: Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. How much RAM on the computer.? (if it's not proprietary, you could put the PDF on a cloud server and provide a link so others could try it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not really linking the AI file, you're linking to the PDF portion of it. We're going to need more info, but this doesn't sound like an InDesign issue at all. It sounds like a system problem. How much RAM do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An answer to both of you - The project itself is classified so I cannot post the files.

Here are some info about my device:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10850H CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz, 32,0 GB RAM (it says 31,8 is usable), 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor, Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2

The printing issue has been experienced both on my, my colleague and my client's computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Fredrik23505265o6v4 , Does it happen if you flatten on Export, e.g PDF/X-1a?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Fredrik ( @Fredrik23505265o6v4 ),

"I have a pdf that won't print from Adobe Acrobat Reader."

what does or doesn't happen?

Any error messages?

What printer is used (brand/model)?

What language uses the printer (PS/PDF, PCL etc.)?

What size has the PDF (no. of pages, file size)?

Is it possible to print the file from InDesign?

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Illustrator, export the PDF file (not .ai) as: Compatibility / Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3), so transparencies will be flattened.

This will prevent InDesign or Acrobat from using too many calculation loops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably the correct way to do it if I actually had the right workflow. The problem in this case was that it would take a lot of time for me to do individual pdf export of the different zoomed in details in the big illustrator file. I guess the problem all along is my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why create separate files to zoom in on details?
Export a single PDF, and zoom in on details by enlarging in InDesign's image frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scale of the plans range from 1:2000 to 1:100. PPI needs to be super high for it to look good in the zoomed in parts which makes the file huge? Might be wrong. I'm a newbie when it comes to these kinda problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Files created with Illustrator are vector-based, so you can zoom in to infinity without losing any detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines