• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with hyperlinks from imported word doc

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a tricky problem with text hyperlinks from an imported word document. Half of the text links work fine, half the links not only do not work (in the PDF), but I can't even edit them in InDesign (2023) to fix them. When I select the text and right click, the hyperlink (and edit hyperlink) command are missing from the drop down menu. They also don't show up as hyperlinks at all in the Hyperlinks dialogue box. The only way to fix at present is to delete the text and retype it, then manually apply a new hyperlink. This is just too much work in a large doc. Anybody come across this? Anybody got an easier fix than mine? What's going on?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , InCopy workflow , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

How are you importing the word doc? 

Have you tried other methods?

You could 1) Copy and Paste the text from Word (and in preferences set the retain all styles/markers etc.)

2) Drag and drop the Word File to InDesign

3) File>Place

Is the word doc a .docx file? If so - try saving as a .doc file.

And I just hope the link works as in the Word File already - I presume it does - can you confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you importing the word doc? 

Have you tried other methods?

You could 1) Copy and Paste the text from Word (and in preferences set the retain all styles/markers etc.)

2) Drag and drop the Word File to InDesign

3) File>Place

Is the word doc a .docx file? If so - try saving as a .doc file.

And I just hope the link works as in the Word File already - I presume it does - can you confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm just importing the word doc directly into my text box flow (file>place). I can't cut and paste it's a big doc with tables and you lose all table formatting. I might try the docx > doc thing, but if it was an import issue, why are half the links working and half not? And why can't I fix them? Strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, all the links are working in the word doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just resaved the source doc from docx to doc and the link problems evaporated. Magic! Thanks for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines