• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with InDesign Spiral bound book and .pdf export for print?

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a document for a spiral bound book in InDesign and exported it for print. The print people said I need to correct the following:

1.) Each page needs its own bleed on all 4 sides.  

2.) Reference: page 16 cannot have images from page 17 on it.

3.) Please have the Designer have InDesign file worked with all images extending 

1/8” beyond the trim size of 7x4 on all four sides of the page.

4.) Export hi res pdf with bleed - (bleed settings .125 on all 4 sides)

I don't understand what I am doing wrong because I added a .125 bleed and images are still going over into the other page. I included pictures of pages 16 and 17 like they reference in the direction above. I included screen shots of my document settup and acrobat settings showing that I have included a bleed. I am not sure if I should just go in and edit the .pdf and delete the images that are extending into the other pages? Or will that mess things up for the print people?

Screenshot 2022-02-11 111846.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-11 110808.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-11 110728.jpgScreenshot 2022-02-11 110624.jpgadobe layout.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022
  1. You have to set up the documnt as facing pages with bleed.
  2. If the design of the whole spread is a unit, like a color or imaga across both pages of a spread it is ok if the bleed takes material of the other side of the spine.
  3. If there is a design break between left and right page you have to do following:
    • Select the spread in the page panel
    • In the page panel menu deselet to shuffle pages
    • Click twice on the right page thumbnail to select it.
    • Drag the symbol to the right until you see a vertical

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

To do this you need to "break apart" your spreads.

Setup as a facing pages document withthe page size set to the trim size of the book and add the required bleeds in the setup dialog.

In the Pages panel open the panel menu and UNcheck both Allow Document Pages to Shuffle and Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle. You can now grab the right hand page of each sprtead an pull it to the right until it breaks away from the left page. No extend all your frames that are at the binding into the bleed area an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You have to set up the documnt as facing pages with bleed.
  2. If the design of the whole spread is a unit, like a color or imaga across both pages of a spread it is ok if the bleed takes material of the other side of the spine.
  3. If there is a design break between left and right page you have to do following:
    • Select the spread in the page panel
    • In the page panel menu deselet to shuffle pages
    • Click twice on the right page thumbnail to select it.
    • Drag the symbol to the right until you see a vertical bar
    • Release it.

Now you have separate spreads with one single page where you can make your design up to the bleed line without affecting the opposite page and you can export single pages correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do this you need to "break apart" your spreads.

Setup as a facing pages document withthe page size set to the trim size of the book and add the required bleeds in the setup dialog.

In the Pages panel open the panel menu and UNcheck both Allow Document Pages to Shuffle and Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle. You can now grab the right hand page of each sprtead an pull it to the right until it breaks away from the left page. No extend all your frames that are at the binding into the bleed area and fix any image or color fill issues you might have.

I'm sure the procedure for breaking the spreads is scriptable, but I'm afraid I don't have anything in my collection to offer you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Facing Page documents the inside bleed comes from the opposite page. Here are some other options:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/gutter-bleed-still-the-same/m-p/11367643#M198592

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines