Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problema de trabajo entre InDesign e InCopy

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¡Hola!

Mi editor y yo estamos trabajando combinando InCopy e InDesing por primera vez así que estamos algo confusos respecto a por qué pasa esto y cómo debe solucionarse.

Mensaje de "error" que apareceMensaje de "error" que apareceCada vez que intenta editar cualquiera de las asignaciones, le salta este mensaje:

"No se puede extraer este archivo. Puede que lo esté usando otro usuario"

Obviamente nadie más lo está usando porque sólo hay dos usuarios que tenemos acceso: el editor y yo. He intentado incluso cerrar mi archivo de indesing para que él así pueda escribir por si fuera ese el problema pero no sirivió.

Como dato adicional: teníamos todo el contenido en la nube de Google Drive pero hemos probado a mudarnos a Dropbox para ver si así arreglábamos este problema. ¡No funcionó!

Espero que alguien responda pronto, es horrible no poder avanzar...

Gracias.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

I don't think Google Drive fully supports the InDesign/InCopy workflow. I know for a fact that Dropbox does.

Make sure that for either solution, you are working locally with a synced folder (synced to the cloud and shared with each other). Don't copy anything to/from the web interface for either service.

To test on Dropbox, make sure you each have the Dropbo app running on your hard drives, that you're logged in to your Dropbox accounts, and that you have a folder inside dropbox that you've shar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already prepare the text stories to be operated on in InCopy by doing this in InDesign:

Edit > InCopy > Export > All Stories?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Google Drive fully supports the InDesign/InCopy workflow. I know for a fact that Dropbox does.

Make sure that for either solution, you are working locally with a synced folder (synced to the cloud and shared with each other). Don't copy anything to/from the web interface for either service.

To test on Dropbox, make sure you each have the Dropbo app running on your hard drives, that you're logged in to your Dropbox accounts, and that you have a folder inside dropbox that you've shared. 

Put your InDesign file in there, and open it in InDesign. Unlink any InCopy stories that you might have, then re-export all the stories to InCopy, putting them in the same Dropbox folder as the InDesign file. I always recommend you save the  InCopy files (ICML files) to a subfolder inside your publication's folder, called something like "Content' or "Stories."

The editor using InCopy should automatically get their matching folder synced with the InDesign file and the exported InCopy stories. They should use the InCopy File menu top open the InDesign file (the INDD file). From there they can check out stories to edit them. 

The other user (the InDesign user) can have the InDesign file open at the same time. They should see that you/the editor has checked out one or more stories and so cannot edit them.

Does this work? (You can try the same for Google Drive, but as I said, I'm not 100% sure Google Drive supports this. The software must not only sync the files, but also the invisible .idlk file (lock files) that checking out a story creates and that checking it back in deletes.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer Anne Marie! 

I have all the files/placed in a local synced folder and obviously it's shared with my editor. Also we both downloaded and installed the Dropbox app on our macs. We did all you mencioned before post our problem here but it didn't work! 

To keep following your steps, can you tell me how can I unlink my stories? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, from the Assignments panel, select all the stories and click the Unlink icon at the bottom (looks like a garbage can).

OR

Shift-click all the ICML files in the Links panel and choose Unlink from the Links panel menu.

Neither method deletes the exported stories from your server/shared folder. You should do that too, immediately after unlinking them, to reduce confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I unlinked everything and linked again and it WORKED!! I think the problem here was copy all the folder (including the assignments) from the Google drive folder to the Dropbox one. Maybe Google drive corrupted the files or something like that....!! Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's wonderful news! Please mark my answer correct. Or maybe you did that already. Hard to tell with this new interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anne Marie,
do you know if this has changed? Is Google Drive – three years later – acceptable to work with?

kind regards
Rainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since Anne-Marie answered you three years ago, she may not personally respond to you. We'll see if anyone has successfully used Google Drive in 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anne-Marie has given you excellent advice. The only thing I'd add is to try Onedrive as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines