• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with applying master pages

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe InDesign CS6. I have 2 questions about how to apply master pages.

1) I created a master page with a graphics frame for the whole size of page so that I can place different background colors. But I couldn't apply this master page to my pages.

2)I also created a master page with text frames do that I can paste text to several pages. But even though the text frames show on my pages with 

dotted lines, I couldn't select them.

PLease help. Thanks in advance! 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Master/Parenty pages are document specific, so this has nothing to do with other files. Can you apply them successfully in other files? If so, it's probably document corruption and you should try an export to .idml, then open that and save as a new .indd file with a new name.

If the problem occurs in all files, you need to reset your prefs and clear your cache. See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brigit Ananya 

1. Please show a screen shot of your workspace, including your Pages panel. Pull down line between the Master pages (in your version; now they are Parent pages) so we can see all of them. What is the letter of the Master/Parent page? What shows in the Pages panel?

2. If you want to select a frame that is on a Master/Parent page and release it to the document page, hold Cmd+Shift (Ctrl+Shift) and Click on the frame. It will be an override.

I've moved your post to the InDesign forum.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here are screenshots of my master pages.

Graphics Frame:

GraphicsFrame.jpg

Text Frames:

TextFrames.jpg

Pages Frames:

PagesFrames.jpg

And all the other masters are for titles of foreword, chapters, etc, like this:

Titles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows Master A but your document pages appear to have Master B applied. There are two ways to apply Master A to your document pages. First you can simply pull the icon in the Pages Panel for the Master A and drag it onto the pages in the Pages Panel that you want A applied to. Secondly with Master A selected in the Pages Panel go under the Pages Panel pull-down menu and choose Apply Master to Pages... In the option box that appears choose the pages you want the Master A applied to and click Okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I wrote the above reply your first screenshot was all that I saw and was responding to. My answer still stands but did you edit your screenshots while I was writing or is something really funky going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added more screenshots later. But I still can't apply my masters to my pages.

I right click on master and say apply to pages and give the page numbers, 

but nothing gets applied. Are different masters of other InDesign files of mine

interfearing or all all masters specific to each file? Do I have to do something like

"override", and how is it done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Master/Parenty pages are document specific, so this has nothing to do with other files. Can you apply them successfully in other files? If so, it's probably document corruption and you should try an export to .idml, then open that and save as a new .indd file with a new name.

If the problem occurs in all files, you need to reset your prefs and clear your cache. See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines