• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS to PDF - what is the better way?

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're using Adobe Distiller for PS to PDF conversion - using the watch folder concept for many years now. Sometimes, some files get stuck in the process and there involves a manual intervention to restart the application. We're thinking to upgrade this process to have a fully automated workflow. I see that Adobe Distiller support is stopped and moved to "Adobe LifeCycle PDF generator" then moved to "Adobe Experience Manager".

What is the best alternative for my situation "InDesign => PS = PDF"?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Stop using PostScript as it was a technology of the last milenium and has not been updated since then. No Postscript means no Distiller, no PDF VIA Print, no EPS.

If you used EPS, use now PDF/X-4 when you import images.

When you create PDFs, use Export in InDesign, use save as in Illustrator or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop using PostScript as it was a technology of the last milenium and has not been updated since then. No Postscript means no Distiller, no PDF VIA Print, no EPS.

If you used EPS, use now PDF/X-4 when you import images.

When you create PDFs, use Export in InDesign, use save as in Illustrator or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Willi wholeheartedly!

I wrote this article for InDesignSecrets.com now incorporated in CreativePro.com in 2006.

https://creativepro.com/creating-pdf-export-or-use-distiller/

But if you can't read it here are the main points:

"...

you’re going to lose a lot of information when you make PostScript instead of directly exporting PDF: Because PostScript is an older technology than PDF, here are some things that will be lost:

• Transparency is flattened.
  • It’s not possible to create PDF layers, useful for versioning, for example.
  • The file’s structure (called tagging) is stripped from the file. (I discussed this in my post on Creating Accessible PDF Documents).
  • Forget about a color-managed workflow; embedded color profiles are discarded.
  • Interactive elements (bookmarks, hyperlinks, etc.) are thrown away."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I see that Adobe Distiller support is stopped and moved to "Adobe LifeCycle PDF generator" then moved to "Adobe Experience Manager". << This is not correct, in itself. Distiller is a normal part of Acrobat and it is installed for everyone with Acrobat. HOWEVER, you are right that Distiller is not for an automated workflow. An adapted/relicensed version of Distiller was once known as Distiller Server, then became part of LiveCycle PDF Generator (PostScript edition), which is now presumably indeed part of AEM. If you want an automated workflow, AEM is where you need to look.

HOWEVER, I agree 100% that nobody, under any circumstances I can think of, should be involving PostScript, or Distiller (or its equivalent in AEM) in getting a PDF from InDesign. Utterly obsolete. Of course we don't know if that's what you do, but you are posting in the InDesign forum, so it's going to be assumed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your suggestions! 

We use exported PDF for online purposes, but for printing, we still use Distiller PS to PDF concept. I think it is time to upgrade. 

I think these are the following changes I've to do to my workflow:

• Convert images from EPS to PDF/X-4 (using Illustrator or Photoshop)
  • Use direct exported PDF for printing as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert images from EPS to PDF/X-4 (using Illustrator or Photoshop)

Hi @Shiv Allva , you can also use the native Photoshop (.PSD) and Illustrator (.AI) formats—it’s easier to edit the original with the native formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct. But if a file has an image and additional text and vectors you should avoid PSD or TIFF as those vectors are rasterized in the image resolution. To impove qualite you should use PDF. But be aware, vectors inside a smart object are always rasterized.

Illustrator AI files are able to transport blending modes to InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok, will make a note!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines