• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Online Crashes InDesign

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to publish documents online, it crashes InDesign. It had been working a week ago, but then just suddenly stopped. I tried updating InDesign to the latest version (17.0.1) and no dice. I can update one I've published previously, but I can't publish any new documents. How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Bug , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jaqueline

Welcome to the forum.

A few things to check out:

Which OS and version?

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

How big is the document you are trying to upload (eg does it include videos)?

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I'm on a brand new Macbook Air M1 running Monterey 12.0.1, my memory is 16BG and I have 722 GB of free space. The document file size is 32MB, no videos/gifs or anything, just text and linked or pasted photos. What preferences should I be resetting?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will set InDesign back to the factory defaults:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me get this straight... I'm supposed to wipe ALL of my preferences?! What does this accomplish? I have a state of the art computer how does this just happen?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not supposed to do anything – you asked for advice and I suggested you reset the InDesign preferences to see if it prevents your crashes. If it doesn't resolve the issue return here for further suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I'm sorry this is just extremely frustrating to have the problem develop randomly when I have deliverables for clients. Other people on Reddit have also had it happen, so at this point I think it is a glitch. I just wiped  my preferences and InDesign still crashed when I go to publish online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it crash when you try and upload any document, or just one particular document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's let me publish some shorter other documents, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why many of them won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and spent two days but still could not solve the crash problem. The book published successfully two days ago but after making some editing and want to publish or update it, keep crash on me.  I Just narrow down the reason to the TOC page, when I delete the page and things go nomal, the only thing different on that page is there are some hyperlinks on it, but that is important for an ebook, please help! How to fix the problem or anything I should try? Looking forward to hear you soon. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format is your eBook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @jacquelinet89017979  and @default22451136ut5z35 

I see you posted that you have a State of the Art computer - sorry to say - the Mac M1 is riddled with issues not just with Adobe products.

It might be an expensive computer - but certainly not state of the art. I'm not taking a 'pop' at you or Apple, but it's simply a fact.

There are many reasons why documents won't publish online - and a lot of those reasons could be absolutely nothing to do with what computer you have - or what operating system - or how much RAM you have.

It could be down to a rogue image/font/text/frame/minor file corruption etc.  (I'll come back to this)^

We talk about file corruption you have to understand this can happen any time. InDesign files are just code, and after time and edits some of that code can build up - and it needs to be a minor fix to do this

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

-------

This can happen to files that were created on a different platform (OS) or in a different version of InDesign and just needs a simple fix.

You were already advised to reset your InDesign Preferences. 

This is a simple procedure - albeit I've never had to do this - InDesign has run perfectly for me for over 20 years with no issue, all versions of InDeisgn from InDesign CS1.

--

To do this

The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

The part marked in bold with the ^ at the end.

Yes, your images can become corrupt - and nothing to do with InDesign - perhaps you added a new image or made a change or did nothing at all.

It could be a font con bad - fonts are just software - with new OS new machines - new files - etc. - yes even your fonts can become corrupted

It could be text within the document - it could be a text frame, it could be an image frame

it could be absolutely anything

To narrow this down 

Try exporting the first 50% of your pages - so if it's 100 pages try pages 1-49

Then try 49-100

If it exports 1-49 ok - and it doesn't export 49-100 - then you know the problem exists on that side of the document.

You can keep trying to export the document by selecting pages 49-74 then 75-100 and see if it works or doesn't work.

You can narrow it down to the page(s) causing the issues and find that element that is causing the crash.

This is very quick to do.

I know it's frustrating when you are experiencing issues - but these are issues we all face from time to time.

Personally I've had to the 50% export many times.

The last thing to try would be moving your pages to a new document and see if it helps. I've also had to do this from time time.

Then you can move your pages to the new document

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/pages-spreads-1.html#:~:text=To%20move%20pages%20from%20one,f....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iW7ZYx7iv0&ab_channel=InDesignSecrets

-------

I hope this has helped you in some way.

If it's still not working for you let us know - perhaps share a document with us and we can see if we can find the issue/problem for you.

--------

Failing that there are other options

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

---

Rollback to a previous InDeisgn version

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html#:~:text=Open%20the%20Cr....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines