• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Online interface SUDDEN NEW GREY BORDER

Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use indesign's Publish Online feature to create web apps.  It's fantastic, but today whilst enjoying a coffee in town had a shock - some bright spark at Adobe decided that we now needed a fat grey border all the way round the design area.  I probably know why they did this, the little pop-up bar at the bottom of the window covers your beautifully crafted design, but I'd worked with this and used it to my advantage.  But someone must have thought 'if we create a fat margin the same thickness as the bottom bar, then it won't obscure the design canvas area.  But, it's an absolute disaster, so my carefully crafted web apps for smartphones now looks a mess, worse still, on smaller smartphones text is now illegible because the border means it's shrunk even smaller as a result.  It literally ruined my day, how could Adobe just suddenly mess with something so important, particularly to mobile screens?
So finishing my coffee, I contemplated the long laborious chat with Adobe, and you know how it goes - 'there's server maintenance being carried out, just wait 4-8 hours'.  When I'm told this I now instantly take this as the fob-off.  The next thing the chat guy said was 'let me log into your computer and look at your file'.  But - I said to the guy, 'I have the browser tab left open from yesterday with this Publish Online doc and it views perfectly. But upon opening a new tab today (the same doc/url), there's a big fat grey margin, it's nothing to do with my file or online doc, it's something Adobe's done to the browser window settings'.
It took a lot of chatting to convince him of what I was saying, I almost felt a game was being played out, ultimately wasting lots of my work time.
Eventually upon asking for the manager (on the 3rd attempt), I was put through to a guy that said 'yes, Adobe's made changes to the Publish Online interface'.  Ureka! I knew it, but why had the previous support guy wasted so much of my valuable time?
So yes, Adobe in its infinite wisdom has changed the interface, so 10 hard months of my work building a showcase web-app for my new business using Indesign and Publish Online literally ruined.  I said to the guy - 'if you're going to make such a critical change, shouldn't you give the designer the option of having a border, or not having a border.  Also, why not give the designer the option to change the background grey to whatever colour they require?  After all it's us guys that are paying for the service'
So I was then given the 24-48 hours wait time, I did ask 'why it would take so long, weren't they directly in touch with the development team?'
So my company and its use of Indesign and Publish Online for web apps hangs in the balance, I have to sit and bite my nails whilst the Indesign team decide how they'd like to progress!

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the gray border on a publish online documents on either desktop or mobile, can you share a screen capture?

Have you considered using Adobe XD for digital prototypes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You posted this issue in another thread and shared screen captures. The gray border you are referring to is the gray background that has always been in Publish Online documents. My observation is the background usually shows on the sides or top+bottom, but may not appear if document is at precise size/ratio of the device.

I honestly can't see a display difference with the gray background in any online document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, they’ve rolled back to the previous interface

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: Below the link to this other discussion.

Radical change to the Publish Online display window and non-functioning links
Nigey-LTA, 7 hours ago
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/radical-change-to-the-publish-online-display-win...

I inserted both screenshots from that post inline for better visibility:

Display layout presentation before: *

IMG_6873.PNG

Display layout presentation now:

IMG_6872.PNG

@Nigey-LTA said:
"After hours of chatting, Adobe now admits it's made a major change to the Publish Online display layout, so where there wasn't a border, there's now a fat grey border - it effectively destroys the web app layout that I've been working on for 10 months. The border shrinks the content - not really a problem on desktop, but on mobile it's absolutely critical. "

[*] Please @Nigey-LTA correct me if I'm wrong on this!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking into various publish online documents, I now see the difference. As you mention, on large desktop displays, you might not notice this border, but mobile presentation is obvious.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything that can be done to remove unwanted border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They’ve rolled back the interface

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When did that happen? I was checking files minutes before I posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines