Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish online - ownership

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community,

I am a freelance graphic designer and I have a prospective client who is questioning my pricing. I have made them a brochure/spec sheet for a product as a pitch which they absolutely love, it has interactive features so I’m using the publish online tool in InDesign for them. My initial plan and pricing included transferring the design files to them so they can publish online themselves and make future edits independently. 

However, because they are questioning my pricing I am wondering if it is possible for me to only give them access to the published online version, so they can host it themselves. 

I’m a real geek with InDesign, I put a lot of effort into my documents making sure they are set up efficiently and professionally. I don’t want to give this away to someone who is not prepared to pay for it nor see the value in it... but I want to secure the work!

So, is it possible for me to create the document, publish it online and retain ownership of the indd file but somehow allow them to host it themselves on their own CC? They have 20-50 (they’ve been ambiguous on the figure) of these docs that need making so I don’t want to bog my CC down hosting their documents. But I am loathed to give away my design files when their value is not recognised, and I have set it up so it is so easy to change everything. They could just take my design file and remake the others themselves after I have put in all of the hard work. 

Upon checking Fiverr and the likes, my pricing is very very reasonable for my professional level and the amount of work they want me to do. I have been freelance for less than 1 year and still find the money part awkward, unfortunately. 

I hope it is ok to post this here and hope that someone can give me some advice.

Thank you in advance for your kind help. 

Lou

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is what I planned if they persisted to push back. I have given a detailed breakdown of my charges and they seem more accepting now so hopefully it will all be fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is no. They can't publish it without the InDesign file and you can't publish it to their account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I thought that was the case but wanted to be 100% sure. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well they could place a PDF into InDesign and then publish it online if they wanted to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines