question about image frame

Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have made an image frame on all the width of the page : 

image frame.jpg

About this single image frame, I would like to split it into 3 image frame (with 3 identical width).

How to do this ?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Use the MakeGrid.jsx script that comes with every installation of inDesign.

From my German InDesign 2022 where I have the Scripts panel open and the rectangle selected.

And of course did a double-click on MakeGrid.jsx to show its interface:

MakeGrid-1.PNG

One row, three columns. Zero gap.

The result after hitting the OK button:

MakeGrid-2-RESULT.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the width field, type /3 after the existing value. Then duplicate the frame twice by alt shift drag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or...use step and repeat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the MakeGrid.jsx script that comes with every installation of inDesign.

From my German InDesign 2022 where I have the Scripts panel open and the rectangle selected.

And of course did a double-click on MakeGrid.jsx to show its interface:

MakeGrid-1.PNG

One row, three columns. Zero gap.

The result after hitting the OK button:

MakeGrid-2-RESULT.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I succeeded to do it.

I have also tried to import 3 different apples. 

About the green apple, I have checked "auto adjust" (see red arrow), so by resizing manually the image, I should have an image without deformation (proportional during the manual resize), but it is not the case. Why ?

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have applied the transformation to the content only, not the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" so by resizing manually the image, I should have an image without deformation (proportional during the manual resize), but it is not the case."

No. That's not the way it works.

If you do not hold the Shift key while resizing the selected image with the mouse you will always do it unproportionally.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I succeeded to resize proportionaly the image (green apple) inside the image frame, by holding shift key :

screenshot0009.jpg

But, in that case below, where I have a single image, by checking only "auto adjust" (see red arrow) (without holding shift key), it resize the image proportionaly. So why this "auto ajust" feature does not works when the image is inside an image frame ?

apple.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends what you have selected. The frame holding the image or the image inside the frame.

And of course what frame fitting options are applied to the frame holding the image.

Proportionally fitting or not for example.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Laubender  You have said  : "It depends what you have selected."

1) In the example of the green apple, I had selected the image inside the image frame +  "auto adjust", but the "auto adjust" does not works to resize proportionally  (so obliged to hold shift key to resize proprtionnally) :

image.jpg

2) In the example of the red apple, I had selected the single image + "auto adjust" and "auto adjust works because I succeed to resize proprtionally (without holding shift key) :

apple.jpg

So why "auto adjust" does not works when the image is inside an image frame ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An image is ALWAYS in a frame. Auto adjust works only if you select the frame (the container) and resize it. It avoids you to hold the Command key to resize also the image itself (the content) when you resize the frame (the container).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So why "auto adjust" does not works when the image is inside an image frame ?"

As I already said: check the frame fitting options for that selected frame.

If the frame fitting options are set to e.g. fill frame proportionally you will also see that the image will change its size proportionally when you drag the image container's handles to a different size. Check the Options button in the part of your Properties panel that is named "Adjustement de bloc" in your French version.

From my German InDesign 2022 where I set the frame fitting options ( "Rahmeneinpassung" ) to Fill Frame Proportionally ( "Rahmen proportional füllen" ) :

FrameFittingOptions-WithPropertiesPanel.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmlevy You have said : "An image is ALWAYS in a frame."

Ok, now I understand concerning the red apple below (I thought it was only an image, but you said it is always an image inside a frame). And I understand now that the "auto adjust" works only on the frame.

As I need to resize the image itself, I will use the shift key feature.

screenshot0010.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I need to resize the image itself, I will use the shift key feature

As @Laubender wrote, it depends how the frame fitting options are set.

For my part, since I am a very long InDesign user and since the auto adjust feature came very late, I never use it.

If you uncheck the auto adjust check box, you will need to hold the command key (and the shift key if you want to contrain the proportions) if you want to resize the frame and its content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmlevy  About the 3 image frame with apples, I have noticed that each imported image was not at the good size (one apple was bigger, one other was smaller), so I needed to resize each image itself (not the container) in order to have 3 apples at the same size. That is the resaon why I needed to resize the image itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to resize the image itself, you can do it by multiple ways.

• either use the direct selection tool (the white arrow) and click on the image: it will be selected, now select it by a corner and resize it. Don't forget to hold the shift key to constrain proportions
  • you can also use the selection tool (the black arrow) if  “afficher la saisie du contenu” is enabled (menu Affichage > Extras). Note that when it is enabled, the menu displays “masquer”. So, if it is enabled, the black arrow will act as the white arrow. Click on the “donut” icon and the image will be selected, not the frame.
  • Capture d’écran 2022-04-22 à 19.09.33.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-04-22 à 19.13.41.jpgCapture d’écran 2022-04-22 à 19.13.48.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

can you make 3D clouths on here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines