Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Questions on PostScript (Type 1) Fonts in InDesign

New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

We all know that Adobe will not be supporting PostScript fonts from the start of year 2023. Now I am already familiar with this link where Adobe explains it all (https://helpx.adobe.com/ch_de/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html). However, we still have some questions: 

— Will we still be able to open InDesign-Files that contain PostScript-Fonts?

— If yes, will we be able to edit for example a text-box in InDesign, which contains a PostScript-Font? Will we be able to click in it and change the font? Or will the box not be locked. 

— Can we keep an older version of InDesign etc. for opening those files? If yes, which is the latest version, which supports PostScript-Fonts?

Why'm I asking this? If we still can operate on those files, although they contain PostScript-Fonts, then we don't have to go through all of our files to search for those fonts. If we cannot open them, we have to go through all of our clients and search for files with PostScript fonts and change them, which will take a long time.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , InCopy workflow , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes to all of your questions and I have no idea of the exact date this will happen so it is entirely possible that when InDesign 2023 is released it will not support Type 1 from the start. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tinto-ag,

Thank you for reaching out. I have escalated your questions to our Adobe Fonts (Product Manager) @Molly Doane; she might want to help you with some answers.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I'm happy to respond to your questions here:

Will we still be able to open InDesign-Files that contain PostScript-Fonts?

—Yes, you will be able to open the files. Once support for Type 1 is ended you will receive the existing Missing Fonts window letting you know that fonts in your file need to be replaced

If yes, will we be able to edit for example a text-box in InDesign, which contains a PostScript-Font? Will we be able to click in it and change the font? Or will the box not be locked. 
—You will not be able to edit or author text using Type 1 fonts. Your text will revert to a default font until you replace it with an OpenType or TrueType font.

Can we keep an older version of InDesign etc. for opening those files? If yes, which is the latest version, which supports PostScript-Fonts?

Any Creative Cloud release from Jan 2023 and beyond will not support Type 1 fonts apart from Photoshop, who ended support in 2021. 

I hope this clarifies. Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Molly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick and accurate reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>>Can we keep an older version of InDesign etc. for opening those files? If yes, which is the latest version, which supports PostScript-Fonts?

Be sure to turn of the Creative Cloud app preference to revmove old versions. While you can usually install one version back, who wants the headache?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines