Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Boxing" when printing from Indesign CS5.5

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm having an issue where any image put into indesign prints with what looks like an old school render box in areas of the image. See attached, one is printed right from windows, one is printed from indesign. What would be causing this boxing or checker board pattern. Sorry for the cell phone pics of the prints. 

good-bad.JPG

Thanks

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the format you use for the picture in InDesign. Have you tried to save them as PNG (if they are jpg) for example, and replpace them in InDesign.

A pattern happens sometimes (like moiré effect), but I would expect to apply to the whole roof. Try to add a small angle to the picture (1 degree) to test the print again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting to pdf and printing from Acrobat. I don't know what is causing the issue, but I would check for and install any print driver updates (Google your printer name and model).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one on the right is printed straight from the jpg image to the printer so the printer is working fine. I tried printing to PDF from InDesign and got the exact same pattern as if printing direct to the printer from InDesign. I'll try rotating it one degree but it is definitly something InDesign is doing as soon as the picture touches the canvas. I will also try a second printer (even though some programs print it fine) but I'm out of ink in it till this afternoon. If It helps I'm running an i7 9700, 48 gigs of ram and a 2070 Super graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you exported the pdf that you tried to print did you use either High Quality or Press ready for your presets? Also use PDF/X-4 as your standard so that any transparency in your file will be maintained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on this. After trying the suggestions below and different printers it appears that all Adobe products hate this image and this image alone. If I print from windows photos, microsoft word, or any other program it prints fine. If I put it into Indesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop it prints with the boxing. If I print to PDF first from Adobe programs then to any printer it prints with boxing. I can't begin to image what this picture said to adobe to make all the programs hate it so much but if I use any other picture it seems to be fine so I'm just redesigning the document to use other images and moving on. Thanks again to everyone who tried to help and for all the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be seeing jpeg artifacts that get worse when an rgb image is converted to cmyk. Is it possible you were converting to cmyk from InDesign, (and other Adobe software)? Also, congrats for using CS5.5 and getting your money's worth! If you need to get a new computer, it's very likely CS5.5 won't work on it. I suggest you make a back-up of all your files, if you have not already done so (speaking from experience).

Can you upload the original image, so we can see if we can duplicate the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stop printing to PDF and export to Adobe PDF (print). If you insist on printing from InDesign make sure send image data is set to all in the print dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines