• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Cannot place this file. invalid png file INDESIGN"

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I moved my indesign files to icloud. Then I moved it back to the desktop on my computer. But now all the files are giving an error as soon as they are opened. I tried relink the png images but it keeps giving the same error. I couldn't understand why.

I am using the latest version of indesign on Macbook M1.

What can I do? Please help.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

As long as you can open INDD file - there is hope for you 😉 

You need to export your INDD file as IDML - with a new name, then open IDML file and save as INDD - remember to not overwrite your original INDD files!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of two reasons the PNG files could be causing that error:

1) In the process of moving your files to the iCloud and back, they were corrupted, or 

2) Some PNG files are written by applications in a non-standard way that InDesign does not recognize.

I would open the PNG files in Photoshop and resave them, then relink them in InDesign. In general, PNGs from Photoshop should be recognized by InDesign. (If Photoshop doesn't recognize the PNG files they may have been corrupted and you'll have to pull the PNG files from your backup.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried saving again in photoshop but it didn't work. I think the indd files are corrupted.

When I try to open a new indd file and place the same png files in it, it does not give an error. The error is in the old worked indd files. I cannot insert not only existing but also another png files into those works. It does not accept png format. 

I have so many corrupt indd files like this. Is it possible to save?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you can open INDD file - there is hope for you 😉 

You need to export your INDD file as IDML - with a new name, then open IDML file and save as INDD - remember to not overwrite your original INDD files!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, this actually save my day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated InDesign BEFORE bringing files back? 

There was a similar thread - where PNG files with layers (?) saved from another Adobe program stopped importing after update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, indesign was already up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines