• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Duplicate Page" within document or "Move Page" to new document does not respect Facing Pages

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having an issue with InDesign 2022 that I don't recall having in earlier versions.  This happens when I duplicate a page within a document, or move (a copy) of a page from one document to another.

If the new page is opposite the original page, all page objects on the copy ignore the Facing Pages setup and offset margins.

My master/parent has 1/2 inch margins on top, bottom and outside, with a 1" margin on the inside.  "Facing Pages" is checked. "Adjust Layout" is unchecked (that's a whole different rant).

If I duplicate, for instance, a right hand page to a left hand within the same document, all the objects on the copy are placed as if it's still a right hand page, as if there was a 1/2 inch margin on the right (now the inside) and a 1 inch margin on the left (now the outside).  The page margins show correctly offset, but the objects are no longer aligned.

If I move a right hand page to a left hand page within the same document, everything shifts correctly.  But if I move it to a different document (essentially creating a duplicate) the page copy fails to match the facing of the target location.

Bug?  Feature?  Typical Adobe programming?  Am I just special?

Is there a fix for this issue?  Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 17.2, which is shown as current in CC Desktop.  Sorry, I couldn't see how to edit that info into my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem.  when i duplicate a right hand page to a left hand page indesign adds the inside margin to the outside margin of the new left hand pages, shifting all the elements on the page to the right. i'm using 19.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm currently using 19.01, and it is still doing this.  Not only that, but it has the added bonus of object sizes slightly, not just shifting the entire layout left or right on the page.

This wasn't broken before 17.2.  It's still broken almost 2 years later.  How about fixing Adobe?

[Abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was wondering...

You don't have Adjust Layout switched on somewhere, do you? That *might* cause objects to change size.

Also...

Is there agreement in the page sizes from File > Document Setup defined page size to the size of the Parent pages in your Pages panel? Are they the same size?

And I was wondering...

Why not make new blank pages and copy/paste objects from the originating page to Edit > Paste, or better, Edit > Paste in Place?

Furthermore...

Did you know there is a javascript named "Adjust Page Items" in the Scripts panel?

Finally...

I can't quite tell if you are special or not.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines