• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error encountered while reading JPEG image. Image may be damaged or incompatible. Resave the image with different settings and try again."someone

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this message when I try to place jpgs into indesign. What can be wrong with the files? And how to fix them?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Note: Per Uwe's recommendation, I have reported this as a bug. If you would like to vote to have Adobe address this issue, here is the link to the report... error encountered reading image – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that the application that produced the JPEG files saved them in a non-standard way that InDesign doesn't understand. Try saving one as a JPEG in Photoshop to check.

But it's also possible you need to restore your preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to save them as a JPEG in photoshop but doesn't seem to work.

I haven't figured out how to restore my preferences in Indesign. Seems very complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could try a different file format, does it have to be a jpeg?

I take it the jpegs load back into Photoshop without problems? Might not be Indesign, Photoshop could be saving dodgy files, could try saving out a jpeg from something like Preview to see if this is the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you saving the JPG? What are the settings?

Make sure they’re not progressive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for necro,

But this worked for us in 2021 to solve bad JPEG exports from Photoshop to InDesign. Toggling Progressive off and switching to Baseline allowed it to import neatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS are you using?

Sounds like a corrupt JPG, can you open it/them in other applications?

Create a fresh JPG with a new image and try Placing that in InDesign. If you have a problem again, maybe try resetting your InDesign preferences: Close InDesign. Then hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and relaunch InDesign. Respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am encountering the same issue. i work with large format images (clipped PSDs more often than not) for trade show graphics, and this is definitely a bug with CC 2019 and not your image file. The reason I know this is that there is a workaround. It is not an answer to your question per se; but, the only way I have been able to get my work done is to re-install CC 2018, export my InDesign file as an IDML in order to open it and import the image into the file I open in 2018. I hope Adobe fixes this soon.

Adobe, please address this issue. If it were a matter of corrupt image files, they could not be imported into 2018 either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harold,

best report bugs here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Come back after and post the link to the report so that everyone can vote for fixing the bug.

Any chance that you can make the JPEG available that is showing the issue?
Best use an account on Dropbox or a similar service and post the link.

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: Per Uwe's recommendation, I have reported this as a bug. If you would like to vote to have Adobe address this issue, here is the link to the report... error encountered reading image – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally i can fix it by myself and need a little trick to solve it. First, if you want to know which photo that make it crash, you need to choose Export & Save as to jpg. And it will show you the page contain corrupted jpg which make this trouble. So, if you found that page you can replace the corrupted photo with the new one. And last, try to export to pdf. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing the same issue. Exporting the InDesign file to jpg's worked for me. I could easily see which page was causing the problem. I just needed to do an elimination process by removing each image and exporting that page till I knew which one it was. Thanks for the tip bolkiahs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue hppens usually with files saved from apps like whatsapp. Simple trick is open in preview or any othe app that can open it, resave as jpg and import into indesign. works every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image will be save as from JPEG to jpg in MS Paint / Photoshop / other application. It will solve this issue. One or some images that is no problem, but more than hundred images what will be the solution. Every image will be separately open in photoshop/mspaint and resave it to JPG format individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just rename indesign file name 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error has remained after renaming the indesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kandasamy223732151ybd , you can use Photoshop's image processor script to batch save a folder of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. The photoshop image script works very well. The
problem was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clearing your cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case this is still an issue: Usually this happens when you want to load/place JPG files with saving settings "progressive". Open it in PS and safe it with setting "basic" and it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines