• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"full page" image is distorted (epub export)

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ! I've been trying to find a solution to this for days and I simply do not understand what I am doing wrong here. 

I'm converting my print magazine in a reflowable epub. I created a new document with proper and clean Paragraph and Character Styles, and it's finally coming along. My issue is that I have images that stretches following the width of the device (I test my epub exports on the desktop Calibre application).

I created an Object Style and in the Frame Fitting Options, I chose "Auto-Fit" and "Fit Content to Frame", but it doesn't solve the issue. I also tried with "Fit Content Proportionnaly" but without success. Also, in the Object Export Options, I set the size to Relative to Text Flow.

I honestly don't know what to do and I am getting a bit desperate here. I have been watching so many tutorials on so many different aspects on how to create an accessible EPUB that I'm probably getting confused. I would appreciate any advice and help on this! 🙂

(I attached a capture of the image on Calibre when I resize the window, and a capture of the image in my InDesign document)

Thank you

M.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - you could try using fixed size for that particular image: In Indesign right click on the image, select Object Export Options and under SIZE select "fixed". 
I had the same problem, getting confused after watching different tutorials about this topic. However, I can highly recommend Anne-Marie Concepcion's video course on LinkedIn Learning, InDesign CC to EPUB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jadann, I just tried this and it seems to be working! I can't believe I haven't thought of this... Though now I have another issue, which is that the images don't always appear in their full page but they would be cut in half, the top on one page and the bottom on the next page. I did check "insert page break before and after image" so that's another mystery I am gonna try to solve now! Thank you again 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, there's a ton of details buried in the EPUB export menu. Selecting FIXED and then working on spot fixes as needed from there is much more stable than the LET KINDLE BE WEIRD setting or whatever it's called. 🙂

This is a great place for CSS tweaking, as well. If you include

transform: scale(2,2);

in an image/object definition, it will overcome the size limitations that FIXED can impose, much the same as the sizing created by TEXT FLOW.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines