Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Missing fonts" conflict when opening Indesign documents daily

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My colleagues and me are experiencing a font activation problem, every time we open Indesign files on our office workstations. We use Neue Haas Grotesk Text & Display as our corporate font, and have it activated via Adobe Fonts on all computers. Strangely enough, I think this problem only occurs with the Text fonts, not with the Display ones.

Our Indesign files are opened and edited on multiple computers frequently, and every time a different computer opens the files, a "missing fonts" error pops up, even after the previous person replaced the "missing" Neue Haas.

There seems to be some conflict somewhere with the font files, because I have noticed that the system keeps differentiating between "Neue Haas Grotesk Text Std" and "Neue Haas Grotesk Text (OTF)". Sometimes Std is available and the system searches for OTF, sometimes the other way around. I get the same errors when opening the files on my personal computer at home, which also has the entire font family installed through Adobe.

Apart from this there's a second error, which I think I've already solved, where the system keeps looking for weights such as "regular", "bold", etc. Whereas it should be "55 Roman", "65 Medium", etc. I discovered that my Windows already had a protected system font version of Neue Haas installed, which had Regular, bold, etc. as weights. Apparently these conflicted with the Adobe Fonts version. After uninstalling this system font this problem seems to have disappeared, but the "Std / OTF" problem hasn't.

This is a very frustrating problem which costs us precious time every day. I hope anyone can give me some insight on how to solve this issue. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jules5FE3,

We are sorry for the frustration. We would like to know if you're experiencing the issue with InDesign only or with other Adobe products as well.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Thank you for your reply.

I think it only happens in InDesign but I can't be 100% sure. Opening some Illustrator files a minute ago hasn't brought up any errors, so at the very least it doesn't happen as often as in InDesign.

Another detail I've noticed is that on my home computer, there is no mention of the (OTF) version anywhere; here I actually get a Neue Haas without Std or OTF. I do also see the "Std" version in my dropdown list as a separate, non-Adobe font though.

So to summarise: on my office workstation I only ever see OTF and Std, on my personal computer I see Std and a version with nothing at the end. The OTF version and the version with nothing at the end both have the adobe fonts cloud icon, and the Std version gets treated as a non-Adobe font with an OpenType icon.

I think somehow getting rid of the Std version would solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the thread into InDesign community for further help and our InDesign experts will be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. Could it be possible for you to package this document, including fonts, and share the download link here or via DM with me? Also, you can move the std version from the fonts folder to the desktop to check. If it works, then the std version is the culprit. If not, then I will check this at my end.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in InDesign - when opening documents on my home computer and on my work computer. But both fonts are OTF, and I reinstalled from the same font file to make sure.

Every time I replace the font (OTF) with the found font in one location, (it takes the OTF out of the name in the Replace fonts window), the next time I open the document on the other computer, InDesign says it cannot find the (OTF) font.

Could it be because I am logged into a different Adobe account at work than at home? Also, my work computer is Windows 10 and home is Windows 11. Other than that, no differences in terms of fonts or software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you install another version of this font in the inDesign font folder?

Are you absolutely sure that the font files are the same?

To be sure, click on the More info button on both computers and select the Kaushan script font in the font list, then read the informations: you will see the file path and the version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I do not use the InDesign font folder and I rarely package my files (like I saw in other posts). This occurs with multiple files, but always with the same font. I saw the file path in the Meta for the font on my home computer (Win 11), but the Meta did not show the file path on my work computer (Win 10). Other than that, all the Meta info was the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured it out. One computer was opening the local version and one was using Adobe fonts. Event thought the font is activated in Adobe fonts on both accounts/computers.

I was only able to see this in Adobe, when I clicked "More Info" in the Find/Replace fonts dialog box. Once I saw this, I did what others suggested in other posts, and deleted the local version of the font (on my home computer). After replacing the font once more (with the Adobe version) on my work computer and saving, then opening the file again on my home computer, it worked! No more "missing font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was only able to see this in Adobe, when I clicked "More Info" in the Find/Replace fonts dialog box

Yes, this panel is very useful…

Glad you solved this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines