• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"start on next odd page", overriding indent top

Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using the Keep Options “Start Paragraph: On Next Odd Page” so that chapters start on right hand pages. The trouble is I would also like the chapter to have a top indent of 2 inches.

It seems that the Keep Option is forcing the chapter text to the top of the page and ignoring the indent.

How can I get the chapter positioned where I went it, with the indent?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

"The trouble is I would also like the chapter to have a top indent of 2 inches."

In the paragraph or paragraph style that starts a chapter you could have an invisible rule above, stroke color set to "None" that is kept inside the text frame with a certain distance to the text.

See my solution here where "Chapter start" is offset from above without using a text frame's top inset value:

Full-page bleed images in text flow?
Laubender, May 06, 2022

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/full-page-bleed-images-in-text-flow/m-p/12925823#M476127

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short of someone having a custom script that can override InDesign's normal functions, I suspect not.

Though it would be neat if you could specify, say, a specific parent page to be used after exercising your Keep Options break to the next right-hand page, such an option doesn't exist. Nor, as I understand, does an arbitrary style rule to get the page to jump down for your chapter starting indent.

Wish I had better news for you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The trouble is I would also like the chapter to have a top indent of 2 inches."

In the paragraph or paragraph style that starts a chapter you could have an invisible rule above, stroke color set to "None" that is kept inside the text frame with a certain distance to the text.

See my solution here where "Chapter start" is offset from above without using a text frame's top inset value:

Full-page bleed images in text flow?
Laubender, May 06, 2022

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/full-page-bleed-images-in-text-flow/m-p/12925823...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool. I learned something new today.

So, you'd just flow the text and apply the chapter start style? It's not automatic, but it's quick enough to almost count ...

Thanks again for the tip,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Holy Cow! what an ingenious solution. Thanks so much Laubender. Really appreciate the clever solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines