• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quranic annotation signs not working in Indesign

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Standard Pakistani Quranic text is not rendered properly in Indesign because it is uable to handle following Unicode block correctly:

2021-07-17_22-30-28.png

https://unicode-table.com/en/blocks/arabic-extended-a/

Side by side comparison of the rendering to illustrate the problem:

Correct rendering in Google Chrome:

2021-07-17_22-33-19.png

Incorrent rendering in Indesign:

2021-07-17_22-37-43.png

To recreate the problem, download the font 'PakType Naskh Basic' from the link below or see attachment:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/paktype/files/latest/download

For Quranic text sample, use the text from the link below or see attachment:

https://svn.code.sf.net/p/paktype/code/Fonts/Deployment/Sura-Fatiha.html

I hope this bug is fixed as soon as possible because we Pakistanis need to compose stardadized Quran in Indesign. Thank you.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an odd one. The end-of-ayah glyph seems to combine correctly with the annotation signs when the Composer is set to the standard paragraph composer. Mind you, this ruins the rest of the paragraph, but it does indicate that something odd is going on. None of the other fonts I have that claim to have good support for Quranic typesetting render these glyphs correctly. That really supports the idea that this is not a problem with font design but with the Composer. 

In order to get this bug in front of the eyes of the InDesign dev team, I would suggest that you take this bug report over to indesg.uservoice.com and post it there in the Bugs section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the font is rendering fine in Google Chrome, this problem is obviously in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I... don't think I agree with your troubleshooting steps, but we've reached the same conclusion. You think the problem is "in InDesign," and I suspect that it is InDesign's World-Ready Composer, specifically. Poorly-made fonts often render correctly in browsers or in apps like MS Word, yet fail to render correctly in any of InDesign's Composers. So the mere fact that it looks right in Chrome does not prove that it's a problem in InDesign. 

However, there's lots of good evidence in this case that the problem is in InDesign's World-Ready Composer, so I'm glad to see that you went over to uservoice and posted it there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. It seems World-Ready Composer is the culprit as it works fine in standard paragraph composer

2021-07-18_1-43-59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines