• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Random "2021 File" When Trying to Save Files from any app

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am saving a file and change the name of the file, it saves it as an Adobe 2021 file, that will not open in an application. This has happened to me in Excel and all Adobe applications.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled all my Adobe apps, but this is still happening. This only started happening after one of the Adobe updates (early October?). This is very annoying and very time consuming. Has anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid your problem description is not clear.

What versions of which applications are you using and what is your OS? Can you describe more completely the sequence of events that leads to the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to explain it any better. I have a subscription to the Adobe Creative Cloud and I am using the most up to date applications 2022 versions. This "2021" file problem only started happening within the last couple of updates. When I am working on a file and when I do a "save as" and rename the file, it will save it as a 2021 file and the icon resembles that of a PDF. I triple checked all my save settings in each application and everything is being done as I usually have, but it still happens. It is not a consistent problem either. In order to open these files, I have to go into the application and use the file open command. It is very frustrating and need a solution. I have also cleared out my preferences, and it still happens. I am on Windows 10. Please see screenshots below.Screenshot 2021-11-16 09.59.30.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-16 09.48.48.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this sounds like it is a Windows file association problem (I have a problem with Windows 10 repeatedly changing the file association for PDF from Acrobat to Edge).

First, open File Explorer and click the File tab, then select Change floder and search options... When the Folder Options dialog opens, click the View tab and UNcheck Hide file extensions for known file types. It is important that you do this so you can distinguish between "real" PDFs and files withthe wrong association.

Find one of your files withthe incorrect icon, right click and choose Open With... and Choose Another App.

When that dialog opens click the check box to Always use this application, then scroll down and choose the link for More Apps. Navigate to the correct program .exe file (presumably InDesign.exe if you are having trouble with .indd files) and select it.

Hopefully this will solve the problem at least until the next windows update when you may have to do it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the instructions you gave to me and it seems to have fixed my
problem. Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help. I hope it stays "fixed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines