Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re-flowing multiple page Table of Contents

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Do you have to manually reflow the Table of Contents or can it flow automatically as it is inserted?

When I add my multi-page TOC it is created in a text frame over the existing content, which is auto-flowed via Primary Text Frames. If this is expected behaviour, is the workflow to switch off the "Delete Empty Pages" preference and then insert extra pages to cover the number of TOC pages resulting and manually flow them?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically I'd have a Parent Page (formerly called Master Page) and this would be page template I'd use for inserting the TOC.

But 'yes' to everything else you just mentioned.

I rarely have Smart Text Reflow turned on - as it doesn't suit my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-text flow is limited to the Primary Text Frame by default. You usually don't place the TOC in the primary text frame. 

Try deselecting the "Limit to Primary Text Frames" option and be sure "End of Story" is selected. Be careful that this doesn't affect other areas of your layout.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This. If you are working with a generated TOC in a work that's still under development, all the autoflow setup in the world won't keep a new page from causing at least a little disruption downstream.

In the (fairly rare) case where I have a developing book with a TOC already created, I either leave blank pages before "Page 1" so that page-fixed elements are messed up by a new front material page, or do a quick reformat of the TOC text so that it again fits in the pages I've allotted to it.

Try to lock down the TOC page length as early as you can, even if it's with placeholder chapter/section pages. Or just leave TOC generation/paging as a very late step.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines