Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recoloring AI vector in InDesign

New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

InDesign 18.1 on Mac OS. How do you Place or Copy a vector graphics from Illustrator and able to edit the colors easily in InDesign?

When I place the graphics from Illus, InDesign seems to automatically make it a frame so when I try to change the color of the graphics, it only fills the background.

Here's an example of what happened:

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 08.28.20.png

Here's what I want to do:

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 08.28.20.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Hi @wutstr , Your Clipboard Handling preferences will affect copying and pasting between AI and ID. Try these settings:

Illustrator:

Screen Shot.png

InDesign

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 3.pngScreen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry wrong second image:

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 08.29.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's likely grouping the objects, or making them compound paths.

It's not really a good idea to copy and paste from Illustrator to InDesign or vice versa - but this is a simple enough graphic and shouldn't have issues.

You can use the Direct Select tool (White Arrow) inthe Tool Panel to select individual pieces.

Ungroup them.

Or release compound paths.  Choose Object > Paths > Release Compound Path.

When you release compound paths for text - the 'counter' of the letter will fill in - so you'll need to tidy that up. 

----------------

Another option to recolour the artwork without selecting it is if the colour is completely unique. 

The Swatch should be added to the InDesign Swatches panel - and from here you can alter the swatch colour and that will change the colour everywhere it's used. 

Really helpful if it's a unique colour. 

------------

But why adjust the colour in InDesign?
Best practice is to use File>Place and place a link - if you need to change the colour the best practice is to create a new version with the colour required - and again use File>Place to place the .ai file directly.

Adding images by copy and paste from InDesign increases the complexity of your InDesign document by adding a lot of information contained in the vector designs - which increases your file sizes - and in some cases can cause corruption to the document (overtime) - not that it would happen often but it's a possibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for Eugene,

I want to adjust the colour as I'm doing a style guide for a company -- workflow seems faster if I can just click and adjust color as I'm using the logo on various sizes / colors / tints depending on the content of the page. File>Place takes more time but I do understand your point.

By the way, it doesn't matter if it's compound path or not. Even if I create a circle in Illustrator, copy and pasting it to InDesign still make it a frame for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I think of it - it's not really 'built' to work that way. 

But I get the fact it's quicker and easier to apply as you go. 

I don't really know if it's any faster to copy and paste than use File Place (or just drag and drop)

But I would consider just using the Direct Select tool - or just use a funky colour in Illustrator

Then change the colour in InDesign in the Swatches panel - then you don't have to select anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @wutstr , Your Clipboard Handling preferences will affect copying and pasting between AI and ID. Try these settings:

Illustrator:

Screen Shot.png

InDesign

Screen Shot 1.png

Screen Shot 3.pngScreen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rob, works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines