My hard drive crashed with Adobe In Design files on it. I have recovered many files with recovery software. All recovered In Design files were coverted to PDFs by the recovery software. Is there anyway to restore them to In Design files?
Copy link to clipboard
Try changing the extension to .indd or .idml, just in case the files are actually InDesign files with the wrong extension. If that doesn't work, google "pdf to InDesign" for options to purchase conversion software, which won't be perfect, but better than nothing. A $60 investment in an external hardrive and auto-backup (like Time Machine on a Mac) is good insurance.
There is no way INDD files were converted to PDF this way. There have been numerous reports of file association issues where INDD files somehow became associated with Acrobat instead of InDesign.
I'll never understand why operating systems default to hiding file extension because it would be immediately obvious that there was issue with the association.
Dear Mr. Levine,
You may well be right. I have no way of knowing for sure. All I do know is that the recovery software recovered all types of files from my hard drive and not a single one was an INDD file which is strange since the majority of the files stored on the drive were INDD files and their respective links. Anyway, as it turns out, I was directed to look into some software called pdf2id that converts PDFs to INDD files. I tried it and it workes so that's a consollation. I may never understand the why on no INDD files being recovered but I do very much understand the vital necessity of always backing up my work. Thank you for your time and effort.
I am very sceptical that a file recovery program was able to recover an InDesign file then open it, relink to the placed graphics, activate any fonts if necessary, export as a PDF, then delete the InDesign file. This is what you are proposing the file recovery program (which has no reason to open InDesign files) did. More likley is that there was already a PDF of the lost InDesign file and that was recovered.
Dear Mr. Faulkner,
You make an excellent point actually. I was thinking the same thing and turns out you're 100 percent correct. Turns out the file recovery program did in fact recover the In Design files but zipped them which is why I couldn't find them. It also renamed PDFs that had been generated by In Design and thus associated by name with titles like "File name.indd.long number.pdf" Why, I don't know but they're all zipped and that's finally where I found them. My thanks for your interest in my conundrum and your help.
MS long ago decided that file extensions confused the poor user. Re-enabling their display is among my basic setup steps for new systems.
If the files are indeed PDF, the only process I know of is PDF -> Export to Word -> Place Word in new INDD file -> Reformat.
I had to use that for a book I had only in FrameMaker 7. Couldn't find my FM install disc, didn't want to spend a fortune on a new version (even subscription) just to export to something I could redo in ID, started with the original print PDF masters from long ago and rebuilt the book in ID (mostly for Kindle export). Tedious, but it can be done and there's lots of macro/script shortcuts beginning with the retrieved Word version.
Copy link to clipboard
Yes, hopefully it's just a file extension mix-up and changing back will help. If you do have to convert PDFs to .indd for this or other purpose, the best-known product is by Recosoft: https://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/
Dear Ms. Burns,
I thought it might be a file extension mix up too and so I tried simply changing the file extension from .pdf to .indd but to no avail. Thankfully, your recommendation of the recosoft software was very helpful. I downloaded the trial and it worked. So thank you.
Sincerely, Jono Hattenbach.
Dear Mr. Jennings,
Thank you very much for your input and your suggestions were helpful indeed. I did try changing the extensions but to no avail. However, there is software that converts PDFs to INDD files and it seems to work.