• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recover indesign file that have been moved

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope someone can help me with my problem, its very urgent regarding a file containing two weeks of work: 

My indesign crashed with an file open that i havn't saved for a while, but which i thought ha been autosaved, I have tried this a lot of times before and thought i could just selected reopen of the program and it would start the recovery of the file. In the meantime i moved the original file from the desktop to my documents folder and when indesign reopened it had the message: 
[File name] could not be found. Do you want to postpone its recovery?
Click yes to recover this document later. 
Click no to delete recovery data for this document.
Click cancel to postpone all document recovery until later

I have tried to move the file back to the desktop and open indesign once again, but i get the same message.
In my library recoverydata map i cant find any recovery/back up files at all, are all of these just deleted beacuse of the move?.. 

Can it really be, that since i moved the file, all recovery options are deleted? and why then does the message say that i can postponed the recovery? If there is no way for me to fix it and then restart the recovery, then why the postpone option? 

Hope some of you guys have tried this and have a solution..

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not have moved that file. I fear, that unless you have a system backup where that file does exist, it's likely to be toast. 

That said, did you open the file that you moved or are just depending on the recovery? If you haven't tried to open it, then please do try.

Finally, in the future, for any current project, I highly advise you to work in a Dropbox or Onedrive folder and save the file often. Both services keep on going versions of files and even if you delete it you can recover it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was what i was afraid of, i dont have a system backup for my recent work, unfortunatly.. 

I did open the moved file, which im able to open and work in, but dosnt have any of the recent work saved - its the version of the file from the last time i manually saved in indesign. I actually thought the file was autosaving while working in it, but i guess not.. 

Thank you for the advice and for your respond. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I agree with Bob. In addition to that, please try the suggestions given on these help articles below to know more about document recovery in InDesign:

1. https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

2. https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-document-recovery.html

Hope they help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines