• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

References Manually, or using Footnote or Endnote?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the latest InDesign 16.2.1, I am doing the layout for a document with lots of reference citations embedded in the text.

I am not sure whether to try to do everything manually (superscript number in text / short citation at the page bottom / full bibliography at the document end), or use either the Footnotes feature or Endnotes feature? What works best?

I have two concerns: problems I have heard mentioned.

1. Some of the references repeat. For example Smith 2021 which has the superscript number of 7 when it first appears on page 2, followed by 8, 9, 10 citations. But then Smith 2021 is cited again later in the document, say page 19. How is that done without screwing up the automatic sequencing?

2. If during the editing process of this document already full of sequential superscript numbers, I need to insert a new citation in the middle of the document. Will the superscript sequencing recalibrate?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know repeated quotations with a shortform either only “dito”, or the short form author & title (shortened) and page number if a different page is quoted than the last one.

Automatical references to the same footnote/endnote are not possible, but would be an important feature. Make a request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you follow Willi's suggestion and want to make a feature request, post it at the InDesign UserVoice forum where the product managers can see it and it can be voted on:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines