• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Regular font shows only as italic on client's computer??

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've packaged and delivered a couple of different inDesign projects to a client using both Oswald-Bold & Oswald-Regular True Type fonts among a couple others. When she downloads the packaged folder and attached packaged fonts to her PC, the Oswalds only show up italicized despite there not being an italic version of the font to choose from.

When she selects the text boxes with the italicized font and switches it to Oswald- Medium (not one of the fonts I used in the packaged docs/ files... this is a version of Oswald she has installed on her computer) the italics go away, but then they are no longer The intended weight.

We've ruled out any mistakenly added character or paragraph styles (that I can see) and I imagine it's an issue with her computer not being able to read the packaged Oswalds that the files were made with.

If you look at the attacked images, there's also this message about Open Type fonts that I've never seen before. 

I'm creating these projects on a Mac, running Big Sur latest version and all Adobe apps are up to date. She runs a windows pc, not sure of version, also has updated CC apps.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts you're using for Oswald from Adobe Fonts?

If so - that's probably the issue - Adobe Fonts won't be packaged with your InDesign file.

It relies on the person opening to also have a creative cloud subscription and to turn on Oswald from their side (or any Adobe Font).

Oswald font is from Google - you should both download and install the same version from the Google library

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Oswald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be sure of it, I changed the fonts to something completely different in the document saved it, and removed all instances of Oswald from my computer. I then installed fresh versions of Oswald from Google Fonts, and switched the fonts in the document to the new Oswald fonts, and sent her the new packaged file, t telling her to do the same on her end. She did and said she is still getting the same issue. Text is still stuck in italics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Eugene’s useful comment have a look at this thread to see if it helps provides a solution:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/missing-fonts-in-a-pdf/td-p/12223817

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sending this over Derek. However, this problem lies in the indd file and it seems this person's issue was with the pdf. I'll run the pdf through some testing in Acrobat to see if it can tell me anything else about the fonts that may be affecting the indd file, but Im not sure I have enough experience with this to be able to know what to look for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me like the fact that your client is on a PC could be the problem. If, as you said, you have been using True Type fonts then there is an issue of incompatibilty depending on whether you are using Macintosh True Type fonts rather than Windows True Type fonts. True Type fonts manufactured for Windows are designed to be "cross-platform". That means that they can be read on a Mac as well as on a PC. True Type fonts manufactured for Macintosh are not designed to be cross-platform. They will not be read correctly on a Windows PC. The only true cross-platform fonts available are Open Type fonts. Hopefully the font you need is available in Open type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with Oswald displaying as an italic version even with the regular or bold version selected. I'm on a mac running Ventura with the latest version of Illustrator (27.2) and InDesign (18), so it's not necessarily a PC problem, nor an InDesign problem. I have no character styles set, a few paragraph styles in InDesign, but there's no skew or italics selected. There were no paragraph or character styles in my Illustrator file. 

I'm at a loss of what to do - I've tried reinstalling the font (even with a fresh download). I've tried activating it in Adobe fonts but I get an error message (no other details). It worked fine yesterday and today I open the same file and it's all italics. I wish I could change the font, but it's the client's brand font. 

I think this is a bad font in some way - but not sure where the conflict is to resolve it. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure, as both myself and my client removed the versions of Oswald we had on our computers (Mac & PC) and installed fresh versions from Google Fonts. Still was happening on her end, but not mine. The same thing happened with another client of mine that uses PC (different font, different InDesign file). I checked to make sure no styles were in place as well as trying different file typed (indd, idml, etc). I'm at a loss of what to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And did you also check to make sure another version of Oswald was not hiding in a "Document fonts" sub-folder? If so, it might confuse the machine. If such exists, try deleting it.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines