• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reinstall InDesign CS5.5 upgrade

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two older Macs, one with InDesign CS4 and the other with CS5.5. I need to move the CS5.5 to the other computer to update CS4 so I can upgrade my newer Mac to the newest system which doesn't support 5.5. 

The CS4 version is registered and I believe the 5.5 was an upgrade, so my 4 registration code should work to register it on the new computer...I just can't figure out how to move it so I can take it off of the other computer. Thoughts?

Note: I can't even seem to find out if 5.5 will work on my old system.

And yes, I know I'm way behind, but I'm a casual user and can't afford the monthly program, so I'm happy to just use my old versions for what I need until that computer dies. Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, just install CS5.5 and it should prompt you for the serial number. Once you enter that, it will prompt you for the CS4 serial. These old versions are totally unsupported. You'll get no official help from anyone. 

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't install it. It's an upgrade to my old CS4 purchase before the monthly fees. It was a download, and I can't find a download anywhere online at this point. I've been trying to move the app over from one computer to the other, but it's missing files, of course. I'm wondering if there's a way to move it over since I can't seem to download it anymore. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs5-5-direct-download-links.html

Read the page and follow the directions EXACTLY before you click any download links or it will not work. Make sure you use the link to the product matching your serial number or it will not activate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a great idea. Unfortunately, the old computer is old enough that my browsers have been long left behind. I only turned on the wifi on the computer to try downloading and have discovered they won't open most windows. To be expected. I think I'm reaching the end of my options if I can't somehow copy the app from one computer and move it to the other. It says I'm missing the file: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSupport/.../ROMAN.TXT. I tried finding that and moving it over to but the file names are different - no more TypeSupport, just Typespt and the app can't seem to find it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you download the installer on the other computer and then copy it over?

The bad news is that there are no updaters for the programs, but if you get it installed you should be able to copy the updated program folder from the other system and overwrite the new install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try that. And if that doesn't work, I'm just going to be happy with CS4 on that computer. I don't use it like I used to, so it will be fine. Thanks so much for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the OSX versions on the two computers?

You might be able to use a cloning software like CarbonCopy Cloner—clone the startup drive on the machine with CS5.5 to an external drive. The cloned external drive with CS5 should then be bootable from the CS4 machine and you could clone the CS5 system back to the CS4 machine. I use CCC to make bootable external drives for testing new software and OS versions.

https://bombich.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could work. My old (target drive) is 10.6.8 and my current drive that includes 5.5 is 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The chances of getting 5.5 to work on 10.14 are very, very slim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working on 10.14.  Is 5.5 too new to work on 10.6? That is one of my questions. That old computer can't really be updated anymore, so if 5.5 is too new to work on 10.6 I can stop worrying about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is not supported on Mojave, but I have it running without any problems. Do you have CS5.5 working on Mojave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the newer computer is Mojave and and it works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old (target drive) is 10.6.8 and my current drive that includes 5.5 is 10.14.6

Also, what’s the model of the older Mac? It would have to be capable of running Mojave for the clone option to work. With cloning you have to clone the entire system volume—I’m guessing you will also run into RAM problems on a machine that old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you're right. That won't work. It's Snow Leopard. We couldn't update the system any more - thus the newer computer. Rats. Thanks for the idea though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, everyone, for all your help. I tried may suggestions but ultimately, it's just too late and the upgrade download of CS5 is not available. I appreciate your efforts and ideas!! -Laura 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines