• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relink dialog window: auto-select current file

Guide ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! Maybe someone has a clue. For quite some time I stumble across this problem again and again and couldn't find a solution. I remember that in some older version of Indesign for Windows (CS6?), when you opened the relink dialog on a file (image) you already placed and which you wanted to relink, it would go into the original folder (dependent on a setting) and list all files, but it would also jump to the current file (if  still existent) in that list of files and mark that file. Automatically.  

Since I-don't-know-when this doesn't work anymore and I'm wondering if this sort of "auto-select" is or was a feature of Indesign or is something the Windows file explorer does in file open dialog boxes. 

I went through the explorer settings and found nothing. Also nothing in the ID  prefs. 

If you know what I mean, can you say if this auto-select came from Indesign and if not, how and where to activate on Windows? Maybe this was something that died with Windows 7. I don't know.

I like this auto-select, because if I have many files in a folder and several language based versions of the same thing, the other file I want to relink with is next to the current one and so I can pick it much quicker.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think that if the original folder can not be located by the Link panel, the default relink location is the last one used succesfuly or where the indd file is currently saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it's not about the folder, it's about the file. Of course, given the fact that both still exist, folder and file. Maybe I was unclear. It's like this:

1. Go to links panel and select any linked file. Click relink button.
  2. It opens the relink dialog in the folder where the file is stored, given that folder still exists.
  3. You see a list of files in that dialog, by default sorted by name, starting with "a" if there is any file starting with a. Supposing you have 150+ files in that folder and the file you want to relink starts with "p" and the one you want to relink with as well, you gotta scroll down quite a lot. 

Back in the day it was that this dialog would jump to the file starting with "p" in that list. Now not anymore and I want to find out why and if I can bring that back.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Doc Maik ,

just tested this with InDesign CS6 version 8.1 on Windows 10.

Nope, the relink command is showing the wrong folder. In my case the standard Documents folder of the current user.

Could be that it was Windows 7.1 related…

However, what I can do in InDesign CS6 and also with InDesign 2022 is this:

Select the image on the page you want to relink. Use the context menu to show the image in Explorer.

In my German InDesign this is: Grafiken > Im Explorer anzeigen

When you switch to the Explorer, the right folder is open and the image is selected.

Finally drag a different image from that folder to the selected image on the page to replace it.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, what? "Nope, the relink command is showing the wrong folder" -> again, the folder isn't the problem. ID would always go into the folder it has stored for the linked file, if that folder still exists. There is also a setting for it

DocMaik_0-1660720508179.png

but it's only for the folder itself. 

However, it's still not clear if this is an Indesign thing or a Windows thing. That's why I'm asking here, maybe someone also used this. I have an old CS6 installation in a Windows 7 VM at home where I could test with. But that would need to have an example folder with many files... Just to find out, if that nice feature came from Windows or Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Just tested again with InDesign CS6 and also InDesign 2022 where I changed InDesign's preferences.

Preferences > File Handling > Links

[ x ] Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking

> Default Relink Folder: Original Link Folder

Also with:

[   ] Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking

> Default Relink Folder: Original Link Folder

Turning off the preference "Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking" does not disable the option with "Default Relink Folder". Still InDesign CS6 version 8.1 and also InDesign 2022 on Windows 10 is not showing a selected file when I do the Relink menu item from the Links panel. This time just the right folder.

That does not answer the question if it is a bug with InDesign or a bug with Windows 10.

Could be that InDesign was never adapted to a new behavior on Windows 10.

As I said above I am using the command "Show in Explorer" ( Im Explorer anzeigen ) of the context menu of a selected image on the page to navigate to a selected image.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know this "auto-select" as I call it to myself isn't the default behavior. I remember vaguely to have once have found a setting for it, either for the Windows Explorer or in Indesign that activated that behavior. It's not sure that it's a bug.

However, I still think you got me wrong when reading "As I said above I am using the command "Show in Explorer" ( Im Explorer anzeigen ) of the context menu of a selected image on the page to navigate to a selected image.". If you proceed the steps above, you're in a relink dialog. The topic is about this dialog not selecting the file that is put into the Dateiname box. Let me show you:

DocMaik_1-1660727453799.png

In this window, if I select any of the above files, the one already in the Dateiname box would be overwritten. What I want to see is the reverse action, means that after ID opened that dialog with the file name in the Dateiname box already being present, that the list of files jumps to that file and selects it, so I don't have to find it first in the long list of files by scrolling all the way down, just to select another one next to it. This reverse action once worked in a previous Windows installation I used at work. Like I said, maybe this is something ID used to do and which now is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked this here on Windows 10 with my English versions of InDesign. In CS6 it opens the correct folder but does not select the file. In CC 2021 and 2022 it populates with the file pre-selected once again. I haven't made any sort of conscious setting change to affect this.

Waht version of InDesign on OS are you using that you are not seeing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID v17 on Windows 10. Interesting. So you have this on Windows 10, perhaps as a default, and we both don't know why. But now I'm almost 100% sure it's a Windows thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to understand how it can be Windows if it does it for versions 16 & 17, but not for 8...

Wonder if it's got to do with your language interface since mine is English and yours appears to be German

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, German, but I don't think this is the cause. I always used Windows in my native language. 

As far as I know, CS6 doesn't work on Windows 10, so if this particular feature didn't work when you tried, it's probably just because of CS6. Too bad that I don't have another Windows 10 PC with an Indesign installation. Perhaps I should try at home on my private PC, with a trial of ID. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wonder if it's got to do with your language interface since mine is English and yours appears to be German

By @Peter Spier

I can confirm that Windows behaves the same, regardless of the language it's set. I deal with English, German, and French versions of Windows, and there is no difference in functionality between those.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Doc Maik ,

currently I have all versions of InDesign installed on my German Windows 10 machine.

From CS6 version 8.1 to the latest prerelease one. Yes, InDesign CS6 is still working on Windows 10.

I see no difference in the behavior of all installed versions. The folder is visible, the image is not selected.

Could well be, that this is a bug with the German version of InDesign.

Or with any localized version of InDesign that is running on a German Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the english version of ID v17 and the german of v14.0.3. Both the same. If this is a Windows thing, it could be the german Windows, because it worked for Peter if I got him right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works for me in versions 16 and 17, but not in CS6 (but I'm not sure anymore if it worked in CS6 on Win 7 either and it's a real pain at the moment to fire up the old laptop to check). My memory is  that I've been annoyed with the relink dialog for a number of years, and I pretty much use only CS6 for production so I won't run the risk of needing to spend a lot of money to do a simple edit in a year or two.

I have CS6, v16 and v17 all installed and they all run as well as they ever did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Spier Sure, mine also run well. I'm only missing this one feature, if that even is a feature.

So let me summarize: you use ID v17, like I do, and when you open that relink dialog it would jump to the file in the list (important is that the list of files is longer than what's shown) and select it automatically? If so, that would mean this feature can work with Windows, I just need to find out where to activate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is not highlighted in the list, but it is automatically selected and put in the file selection field

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selected would mean highlighted. And of course it's put into the selection field, as the name is known.

OK, so it's not different with you, as it seems. Too bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines