• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relink document with a different number of pages

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to relink if the new doument has more pages than the original?  If the existing link has 3 pages and you relink to a 4 page document, it will cut off page 4.  Is there a way to automatically insert a page when using relink?  I know I can insert a page manually before relinking, but I was hoping there is a better way. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

I believe you'll have to place the 4th page after relinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you'll have to place the 4th page after relinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some kind of indication after I relink that there are additional pages?  This is a template situation where I will create place holder links, then relink to the actual documents.  I have no idea how many pages are in each document. I currently have to open it to check how many pages it has, insert pages in ID, then relink.  I'm creating a manual, so it's a lot of relinking.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hat sort of documents are you linking to? For "image" type files, like PDF or .indd files where you must specify the pages, I don't see a way around looking at each file (though if the page layout is the same for all pages, the multipage importer script at Releases · mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter · GitHub  is probably a better way to go than just relinking, but it depends entirely on what your template looks like.

If we are talking about relinking text files of some sort, then you would most likely see an overset text indicator on the last frame in the chain and you can deal with that the same way you would deal with any other overset situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an Operation and Maintenance Manual.  They will be different for different projects, but the sections are standard. I was hoping I could just use a place holder PDF, then relink with the actual PDF.  Sounds like will have to insert pages as I go, I was just checking if there was a way that I was missing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's possible there is a way to do this by scripting... Unfortunately I'm not a scripter, but perhaps someone else will chime in at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines