Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relinking to a new external hard drive with different drive name

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me here. Recently I had an external hard drive give up on me and I needed to tranfer all of the files to a new external drive. In the past I have just gone for a basic WD passport for Mac and then replaced it several times with a new WD passport for Mac, then renamed it to the same name. This time I decided I would get a better faster Sandisk SSD drive. I have transfered all of the files across (which has taken days with the old hard dirve on it's way out).

The problem I have now is that I tried to give the new drive the same and it is not letting me as it is saying the name has too many characters. So my issue here is that I have so many large documents with over 500 links to the old drive... so none of them are linked, Is there a way to get the files to relink in bulk to the new hard drive (with a different drive name), being organised these files are all in different folders within the exteral hard drive so I can't just relink folders as this would be just as time consuming.

All I would like to do is change all of the extentions to from DWS EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE (the old drive) to DWS HD (the new drive)... Example of link path below:

OLD:

/Volumes/DWS External Hard Drive/DWS Documents 14.01.16/1.LIBRARY/*Wineries DOMESTIC/Meerea Park/Bottle Shots/Black/2011 BLACK - FS.png

TO THIS NEW ONE

/Volumes/DWS HD/DWS Documents 14.01.16/1.LIBRARY/*Wineries DOMESTIC/Meerea Park/Bottle Shots/Black/2011 BLACK - FS.png

The are about a hundred different folders of images all within the drive that need to relink.

Help! 

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Thanks Mike. I did try the missing link serach and it said that there were no missing links. I think I found a silution, if I move the files onto teh harddrive they find the links. Then I can move them back to my computer and they are pointing at the right locations again, found this out by chance but good to know ratehr than relinking thousands of files individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Links panel menu button > Utilities > Search For Missing Links?

This command is dimmed if the document contains no missing links.

BTW, I would avoid naming any drive with multiple words divided by spacebar spaces. Hyphens or underscores would be better. A short name is best.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mike. I did try the missing link serach and it said that there were no missing links. I think I found a silution, if I move the files onto teh harddrive they find the links. Then I can move them back to my computer and they are pointing at the right locations again, found this out by chance but good to know ratehr than relinking thousands of files individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines