• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Requirements to import Farsi (Persian?) text into indesign file

Participant ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am laying out translations from english to multiple languages. Having completed all the european ones I now move onto Farsi (Persian?). Before I mess it all up im looking for advice.

Are there any special requirements other than using, for instance Adobe Arabic font, setting my paragraph to align right, and using 'Adobe world ready single-line composer'?

I currently have facing pages for my document also also 2 column grids on some pages. 

I am importing from a word file also.

Any help on this would be super helpful.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you planning to install and use the ME version of InDesign to do this Farsi version?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Yes I did some more reseach which resulted in me installing the the ME version as well. I installed the 2022 version so I can still use my 2023 version in international english. Not sure if that was neccessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you get the technical stuff correct, it'll be legible in Adobe Arabic. It's a font that my Persian translators all agree is... not beautiful. I don't know what kind of project you are working on but if anything more than legibility is called for, then maybe consult with your translation providers on what fonts you might use? 

Note that the x-height in the Latin script glyphs in Adobe Arabic is miniscule; I usually wind up bumping the font size up by a significant percentage when using Adobe Arabic. 

Are there any special requirements other than using, for instance Adobe Arabic font, setting my paragraph to align right, and using 'Adobe world ready single-line composer'?

Well, that might work. Some kinds of glyphs (numerals, parenthetical English, brackets and parentheses, and so on) might require attention to get 'em to render in the correct direction, especially if the translation was keyed in Word. That is, things like phone numbers will most likely render incorrectly as right-to-left instead of left-to-right, as numerals ought to in Persian. You might have to make changes to the numeral glyphs used, as well; Persian translations destined for Iran might have very different requirements when compared to Persian translations meant to be used in the States or Europe. When working for populations in the States, I tend to leave all phone numbers in Arabic numerals and all other numerals in Farsi, but you can't necessarily use that strategy yourself; you'd need to know who is using your document before you can make that judgment call. 

Since you also have facing pages, then you probably need to change the document setup for pages bound on the right instead of on the left.

Lastly, you don't mention your post-formatting review by someone who can actually read the language.  It's commendable that you already understand that you are going to "mess it all up"; laying out RTL languages that you can't read is easy to do incorrectly. So you should expect multiple rounds of review before your Persian-literate readers let your document go uncommented-upon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello

Can you let us know if your query is fully resolved or if you need further information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines