• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object styles and anchored objects and crashing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE: crashing app. I just spent two whole workdays really frustrated with InDesign crashing at least 50 times. (Working to edit book files that somebody else created.) A professional rep could not help, either. He was very kind, but took a long time to find the wrong answer and create more problems. I figured it out myself afterward. It's something that I could not find anywhere, so I'm not surprised he didn't know, either. My InDesign app crashed over 50 times in two days because of object styles applied to text frames with anchored graphics. Every time I tried to paste new text on a page with anchored graphics, the app would crash. I could not select the anchored graphics. All I had to do was un-do the object styles applied to the text frames. (I wasted time re-installing software, trying other computers, updating OS, trying older versions of software...) I want to make a public post about this because it was really frustrating to waste two whole days of work time, and then the pro was not able to help, only to delete all my preferences, which took me a while to re-do, and to suggest a solution that would have been way more time-consuming than what I figured out for myself. (The suggestion was to copy all 300 pages of a book across dozens of files into new documents.) Hope this helps somebody googling the right words like I tried to do.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...

Was the object style connected to a paragraph style? 

If you re-create the object style in a new document, does the same problem occur?

If so, can you upload a document that demonstrates the problem?

BTW, that would have been a difficult thing to diagnose. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are good questions! If I have time after I finish my work, I'll go back and check. There was one instance where the text box object style reset did not solve the problem, so I just made new layers to cover that one up with a white square, and put new text boxes with text from another document in on top. (To not disrupt the flow of the linked boxes.) Maybe what you are suggesting could have helped there, thank you! To be continued...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lol though I did learn that editing a book can be a lot more challenging than building one from scratch! Thankfully, I love both book-making and problem-solving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines