Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize an object as per requirement

Enthusiast ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I am facing an issue in a long document. My requirement is that I have to give an Underline (which is a custom vector file) under each an every subheading. This part is easy as I can do a Find/Change with GREP and give underline.

Problem is some of the headings are Ok where the custom underline vector fits perfect. Some headings are short and some are too long.

Question is is there a way or script which will enlarge the object as per the heading size. 

I have attached a screenshot for better understanding. In the image "Heading One" is perfect. Other two headings are either short or too long. What can be done ?

I am working on a book document containing approx 30 individual files and each file has approx 30 pages.

There are 1 or 2 headings in each page.

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

If the horizontal line is redrawn to be the full width of the page and the frame containing the graphic is pasted into a second frame the same size you can "crop" the length of the hoerizontal line by resizing the "container" frame you pasted the graphic into (drag the right edge to the left to match the length of the heading).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize it's not quite what you're asking, but there is a wavy underline option —

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1661708260076.png

...that might be a simpler solution, although it is not quite a match for your image underline. It would be vastly easier to apply and manage, though.

You may be able to get closer to your desired look by combining underline, paragraph rules paragraph borders. (Stacking the waves, that is.)

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. Actually the vector I am talking about is not a wavy line.

I am attaching another screenshot with exact vector image. Looks like i have to work out manually after anchoring it to the subheading. 

Anyone with a better idea ? It will be very helpful.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could convert that swirl to a type glyph and use it as a bullet, then combine that with an underline. Tricky, but it would be controlled by styles and universal through the document.

I can't think of any (other) solution other than manual placement and adjustment, which would be a terrific amount of work, and likely very fragile (breaking every time text flow changes) as well.

What I'd really do is back up and find a solution that gives a similar distinction to headings but builds up from ID's style options instead of down from "let's put this graphic on every heading." 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no help for scripting, and the help I offer here is small and will, at best, yield results months from now, you can at least vote to support a more robust Wavy option for InDesign’s strokes.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/36890230-wa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott. It looks like I have to do this. 

Thanks once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are adding this object using find/change with clipboard contents, you should consider first making the wavy line the full width of the column, then cut it and Paste Into an empty rectangular frame that you can resize to use as a mask. It won't automatically size to the heading, but at least you'll be able to go back and change that frame width to suit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

Thanks for the reply.  How do I mask it as per different size of the subheadings. Could you please throw some more light.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a tab to cover the unwanted portion of the art, in this sample, the first heading is followed by a Tab (using shift + dash for the Leader) it's colored green for clarity, in the other lines, the dash is colored white to hide the art below, it is also scaled 300% in height and positioned using baseline shift.

cover the line.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the horizontal line is redrawn to be the full width of the page and the frame containing the graphic is pasted into a second frame the same size you can "crop" the length of the hoerizontal line by resizing the "container" frame you pasted the graphic into (drag the right edge to the left to match the length of the heading).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

I will follow this process and see the amount of work I have to do. It seems like your solution will fit my needs. Anyway, I will update.

Thanks and Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke,

I tired your method and it almost worked. Got stuck at one place. In fact two places.

First is that I want to give tab after each and every heading using GREP which did not work for me.

What i did was for Find - This text box was empty. / In Replace Textbox  I typed - $0\t

In find Format I selected Heading Paragraph style. It did not work

Second place where I got stuck was My vectors are all anchored to headings. So its displaying above the green line (tab object) and there is no option to send to back.

I tried Peter Spier's method also which worked very well. There is only once concern. For each and every heading I will have to individually change the mask.

Any ideas on the above two methods?? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a script writer, so I don't have any idea how rto actually do it, but I suspect there is a way to detect the x-coordinate of the anchor position in the text (assuming you anchor the graphic at the end of the line) and then do a transform on the maks frame to change its width and move the rignt edge to that x-coordinate. Unless this is a very long document, or you will have a lot of documents that need similar treatment, this may take more effort to create a script than to do the process manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

I do have lots of documents to cover.  Approx 20 documents, each documents containing 30 pages approx.

I gues I will follow your method and then change the mask manually.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the anchored art would exclude my idea. Another option would be to shorten the art and align it carefully with an underline, but you have probably already tried that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines