Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize page not working

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a 100+ pages landscape A3 document that I have to convert to landscape A4 format.

I need to keep everything in place and scaled (header and footer with graphics and images), except for the text size (e.g. body text is currently 10pt, I need it to be at least 8pt after I scale it) that I want to edit to keep it readable.

I tried to change the page size in Document setup (with Layout adjustment and minimum text size set to 8pt) but nothing changes, the pages remain 420x297mm in size. I tried to change it without enabling Layout adjustment and the pages still don't change in size. I even tried to set it to a completely different page ratio (portrait letter format) and still absolutely nothing happens.

I tried Adjust layout, but I get the same result, nothing happens.

I then tried to make an alternative layout, the page size changes but all text styles keep the text size fixed (e.g. body text remains 10 pt and I get a 7.07 pt value in brackets when selecting text). If I make new text frames the new text size is correct (accordingly to the text style, so I actually get 10 pt body text) but all existing text keeps the reduced scaled size even if I reapply the style or choose another one. I don't want to edit all text styles to unreal values (e.g. 12 pt for body text to get 9 pt in the document) to get the result I want, with new elements having different values, since this document also needs to be shared with other companies and it can't be this messy.

If I change the document size in document setup after creating the alternative layout, it works, the page changes size and the contents scales accordingly (with text size value scaled in brackets). If I set it back to A4, I still get the reduced text size in brackets.

In short, I need to have the actual text size corresponding to the style settings.

Is there a way to fix this? Should I manually scale all the 100+ pages of this document (change page size works, but doesn't scale the content)?

Thank you in advance!

(Please forgive me for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker)

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used paragraph styles in your document? When you create an alternate layout, you get a second set of styles that you can adjust to the specific size that you desire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I used them and I get the duplicate set (A4H), but it reports the same exact size values of the original one (A3H). Body text duplicate style is still 10 pt high in value, despite text with the style applied is 7.07 pt high in the document (the value in brackets that I can't modify). So to make the body text 8 pt in the already placed text frames I have to set it to 11 pt and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

if you use Alternate layouts with scaling then the text gets proportionally sized BUT via a scaling factor, that means if you select text you will see the original point size but in brackets the true size. That can indeed be irritating if you need to change the size.

If you want to reset that, so that only the true point size is shown (like always), you need to go to the little flyout menu of the transformation panel and select "Redefine as 100 %".
But be careful: via Grep or numbering options applied character styles won't be changed, they will revert back to their original size (bug since Adobe introduced Alternate Layouts, or is it a feature?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, this actually solves the scaled value problem. I still have to select all elements on the page to apply the scaling redefinition, and reapply all text styles manually (this was somehow expected) but at least the size value I can edit is the actual one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines