• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restart Numbering

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am making a long list of numbers and I need to repeat those numbers so I select restart numbering and it does restart the numbers. However it skips every 3 numbers. Example: 750, 753.  Instead of: 750, 751

Thanks for any advice.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create the number pattern in Excel, save as CSV or tab-delimited, and import. If it's a table, you could link directly to the Excel file.

Sorry--I misread your post--I was thinking you wanted the skipped numbering. Duh!

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly did you set up, and how are you managing this list and restarting the list?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph Syles > Bullets and Numbering with a list

Copy past list then click on number and tell it to resrart numbering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for a small list but not a large list of numbers. I have found a work around to just make a .pdf of one row of numbers and bring the .pdf into a new documant and step. Just was trying to figure out why it wouldn't work with a large list? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with lists all the time, but honestly, I've never hit list item 169,750 so I've never been in this specific situation. How are you restarting the list? When you right-click > Restart List it restarts at 1. Can you please share your auto-numbering dialog box so that we can see how you have it defined? I'm still not sure I'm clear on how this is set up.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 169 is a fixed number all its own list becouse you can't go that high in numbers. I started the next list at 750 then it numbers on from there (up to 999). So when I tell it restart numbering for the copied row it does start at 750 but then skips 3 numbers. It just seems odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I finally understand your set up, but I wasn't able to recreate the issue.

~Barb

numbering.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I figured out what the issue is from your re-creation. I have my numbers in individual text boxes. But I move them to ine text box it works. Thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why that would make a difference? But it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe individual boxes are read left-to-right, then top-to-bottom--so if they are not aligned precisely, the numbering could be off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect there is another style being used that is part of the same number series , be it the default or a unique series, which is causing the numbers to be thrown off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Julie5FDF:

I put mine in to one threaded frame because it was the quickest way to re-create it. You can have them in unthreaded individual frames, but you need to tell InDesign to continue the numbers across stories.

~Barb

numbering3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did have that checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drawing order/order on page will make a difference. I'm now surmising the missing numbers were elsewhere and you didn't see them. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so it doesn't keep them in sequential order like it is supposed to, like it does for the first list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read my post sent earlier, you will note that InDesign is doing exactly what it is supposed to do with individual text frames--read them left-to-right, then top-to-bottom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Julie5FDF:

I think you have the answer to your original question. Threaded frames reduce the headaches with autonumbers. I don't think you found a bug, I do think your individual frames were out of order. You can manually rearrange them or you can use threaded frames, which never misbehave, in my experience.

Enjoy your day!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well if I copy/paste the frames in smaller groups it works. Does not work if I copy all at same time. Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines