I would create the number pattern in Excel, save as CSV or tab-delimited, and import. If it's a table, you could link directly to the Excel file.
Sorry--I misread your post--I was thinking you wanted the skipped numbering. Duh!
How exactly did you set up, and how are you managing this list and restarting the list?
Paragraph Syles > Bullets and Numbering with a list
Copy past list then click on number and tell it to resrart numbering
It works for a small list but not a large list of numbers. I have found a work around to just make a .pdf of one row of numbers and bring the .pdf into a new documant and step. Just was trying to figure out why it wouldn't work with a large list? Thanks
I work with lists all the time, but honestly, I've never hit list item 169,750 so I've never been in this specific situation. How are you restarting the list? When you right-click > Restart List it restarts at 1. Can you please share your auto-numbering dialog box so that we can see how you have it defined? I'm still not sure I'm clear on how this is set up.
I think I finally understand your set up, but I wasn't able to recreate the issue.
Not sure why that would make a difference? But it works.
I believe individual boxes are read left-to-right, then top-to-bottom--so if they are not aligned precisely, the numbering could be off.
I suspect there is another style being used that is part of the same number series , be it the default or a unique series, which is causing the numbers to be thrown off.
I put mine in to one threaded frame because it was the quickest way to re-create it. You can have them in unthreaded individual frames, but you need to tell InDesign to continue the numbers across stories.
Drawing order/order on page will make a difference. I'm now surmising the missing numbers were elsewhere and you didn't see them.
Okay so it doesn't keep them in sequential order like it is supposed to, like it does for the first list.
If you read my post sent earlier, you will note that InDesign is doing exactly what it is supposed to do with individual text frames--read them left-to-right, then top-to-bottom.
I think you have the answer to your original question. Threaded frames reduce the headaches with autonumbers. I don't think you found a bug, I do think your individual frames were out of order. You can manually rearrange them or you can use threaded frames, which never misbehave, in my experience.
Enjoy your day!
Well if I copy/paste the frames in smaller groups it works. Does not work if I copy all at same time. Thanks 🙂