• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retina display support for indesign urgently needed!

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is been said before but indesign really is unworkable for long periods of time without getting a headache. It is a program designed for text and when that text is unreadable it's a problem. Please please please update this soon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Then I'm afraid you're going to have to make due with what you have. CS6 will not be updated for HiDPI displays.

You should keep in mind that as a CS6 license holder you can get the entire Creative Cloud package fof the first year for only $20/month. Your call of course.

That offer expires at the end of July.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up my Adobe fanboy membership a long time ago, but I'll side with them on this one. Even casual users need to anticipate and be prepared to deal with potential problems stemming from ANY significant hardware or software upgrade. In this case, even a small bit of due diligence would have revealed that this hardware upgrade would be incompatible with your  critical software. I'm all for early adopting on my personal machines, but know that when you live on the cutting edge you're going to get cut once in a while. Stick with tried and tested setups for your money making rigs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, even a small bit of due diligence would have revealed that this hardware upgrade would be incompatible with your  critical software.

That's an excellent point. Apple has created the illusion that its faithful must have every one of its new innovations the moment it's announced. Good for them. Bad for you. Apple is not some magical beast that does no wrong. It's every bit the hungry corporate kool-aid machine that Adobe is repeatedly accused of being. Both trains don't always run on the same track. When there's a divergence, judging which one screwed you in particular is strictly a matter of perspective...your perspective; not their's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Very informative thread. Has Adobe released any sort of timeframe as to the release? InDesign retina support wasnt a deal-breaker for me buying the retina MacBook, but it would be nice. Aplogies if I'm veering this thread on another path entirely but does anyone know a way to make at least the on-screen text and images look somewhat better (other than making everything else minutely small with the "more space" display option) ?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has announced a more frequent release schedule for CS products. They haven't released a time frame, but you may have noticed that new product releases have come about once a year. You won't see HIDPI in InDesign CS6 as Dov pointed out above, but it should appear in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2013 Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading such a nice and long conversation, can any one answer one question:

When are we getting that updated software or an update for InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As indicated in this thread, there will not be an updated for this, but rather, such support will appear in the next full product release. Adobe has not yet made such a product announcement.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't pre-announce products until they're close to release. Keep your eyes open by checking regularly on the Adobe.com website, and by watching keynotes at events like the Adobe MAX Conference in May where announcements can sometimes be made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What everyone here fails to even mention is the compleat lack of support for Indesign period, Mac or PC when compared to other Adobe software.  Even Fireworks got the new interface update before Indesign with CS6, what's that all about.  For Indesign to be such an important cornerstone of the Adobe suite, especially with it's "Digital Publishing Suite" addition, it boggles the mind why it does not get more love.  And don't listen to Bob, he runs to Adobe defense and poo poos Apple any chance he gets and loves to give vague facts when it comes to how fast something is able to be complete as is his reasoning why it's not done.  Adobe and others have known for years about higher resolution displays, Apple did not invent this they were simply one of the first to implement them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree with Ryan on this one (except for singling out any individuals). InDesign CS6 has been buggy from the start (not just on MacBooks but also on highly-specced windows-based, SSD boasting Quad core systems) and the way I see it, if Photoshop and Illustrator can be optimised for Retina, so should InDesign. Adobe is not a start-up with limited resources, it's a goliath. It's impossible to work on a MacBook Pro with Retina and after these many months, it's plain unacceptable. Too bad there's no other tool that matches InDesign's capability though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bugginess is a completely different issue from retina support. ID is a very complex bit of programming, maybe the most complex program in the Creative Suite, and as has been mentioned already, all of the code needs to be re-worked to get 64-bit and Retina display support. Allocation of developer time, up to now, has been tilted towards new features rather than making the application 64-bit -- users seem to want to be able to do epub and dps, and there are only so many man-hours available in the release cycle, so things get prioritized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now with the anouncement of CC at MAX 2013 InDesign will have retina display along with many other new feutures including 64-Bit support. Unfortunantly this update is only avaliadle if you have the creative cloud but personaly I think it is worth it becaus because if you already have CS3 or later or if you are a teacher or student then you can get creative cloud for only 20 bucks a month* instead of the regular 50 bucks. If you want to you can also just get one of the apps like just InDesign you just pay 20 bucks a moth**.

*Discounted price lasts for 1 year only

**First year will be $20 but after one year price will go to $30 a month

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3-CS5.5 intro pricing is $29.99/month. CS6 and student intro is $19.99/month.

But I agree, it's worth it. Here's my take on it for those that might still have some questions: http://boblevine.us/adobes-creative-cloud-perception-vs-reality/

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines