• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reverse the layer order of a stack of images?

Participant ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 🙂

When you place all of the pages of a multipage PDF at the same time (holding option as you click the loaded graphics icon) the all appear overlapping one another, which is great, especially with a big 100pg+ doc.

However as the first page is placed first, the second is stacked on top of it, and so on, pg 100 will now be at the top of the stack. 

Is there a quick way to reverse the order of these in Indesign? 

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Hi thebobwolf,

for this special case only, select all frames that were placed one after another and run this ExtendScript (JavaScript) code:

var sel = app.selection;
for( var n=0; n<sel.length; n++ ){ sel[n].sendToBack() };

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thebobwolf,

for this special case only, select all frames that were placed one after another and run this ExtendScript (JavaScript) code:

var sel = app.selection;
for( var n=0; n<sel.length; n++ ){ sel[n].sendToBack() };

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! Thanks so much Uwe, it works a treat. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you got this solved, but I'm curious why you'd stack 100 pages on top of one another. I'm going to assume it's for some kind of interactive document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

Yes, you're right, it's to create a MSO for an epub. (actually loads of them!) Re-ordering them first gives me the correct page number when I create the MSO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda what I figured. Without knowing exactly how this going to work, there could be ways to present this without reversing the order. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, so a script where you bring in your images, then run the script and it reverses the order and auto makes the MSO? perhaps even adding an empty hide frame at the end? (and possibly next and back buttons)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure that could be scripted but if the idea here is to use next and back buttons, just reverse the arrows. Use the next state command for the left arrow and the previous state command for the right arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, that Object State Assistant plugin is invaluable for making those! Thanks again for your help with that btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines