I'm having issues with Roboto Condenses. Everytime I open a document that uses Roboto Condensed it says the font is inactive. However, Creative Cloud shows font is active. And when I try to reactivate it, it takes several tries before it's actually active. To make things even more preplexing, I opened three documents that use the exact same fonts and two of them showed Roboto Condensed inactive and the third had it as active. Any idea why this is happening?!
you said: "Any idea why this is happening?!"
My guess: Is Roboto Condensed perhaps installed several times on your machine?
With font files in your system? Or in the Fonts folder of your InDesign Application folder?
Plus activated with the Adobe Fonts service?
What's your exact version of InDesign?
What's your operating system?
( ACP )
Thanks for the suggestions but I don't seem to have it installed anywhere else. I'm running InDesign 2021 on Windows 10 Pro. Any other ideas are appreciated!
"…Any other ideas are appreciated!"
Well, let's see:
Did you create all the documents where Roboto Condensed is used on your Windows machine with the font loaded from the Adobe Fonts service?
If not, it could be that for some of your documents Roboto Condensed was once installed with font files downloaded from Google Fonts perhaps. And the font files, usually with *.ttf suffix, will not match exactly the OpenType versions from Adobe Fonts.
( ACP )
go to fonts.abode.com and deactivate then reactivate the font... then restart InDesign
Or, uninstall the Adobe versions of Roboto (through your Creative Cloud account or fonts.adobe.com), and then install the ones downloaded from Google Fonts https://fonts.google.com/.
I find quite a few font problems when our workstations have a combo of both Adobe Fonts and Google Fonts, even when they're the same font. We opt for Google Fonts exclusively and now have few problems.