Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rollover Buttons Not Working in PDF

Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working with buttons in InDesign. Using Buttons and Forms, I've created a button which on the rollover state, shows a box. When you roll off of the button, the box disappears. In the Interactivity Preview box, the button functions properly. When I export the interactive PDF, nothing happens when I roll over the button in Acrobat. I have the newest versions of all apps. Any suggestions as to why this is not working? If I change the function of the button to open the box on the click, it works fine. Just the rollover function is giving me a problem. Could it be a pdf setting? Thank you.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

The only preview in InDesign is for EPUB, not PDF. That said, rollover effects are wonky at best and will not work on mobile devices or many third party PDF readers. 

That said, how exactly did you set up the rollover.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multi-state buttons don't work in Interactive PDFs, use simple hypelinks (you can use words, images and button shapes) , they can be internal links to other pages and external to URLs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. So are you saying that rollovers (images appearing on hover) are not supported in interactive pdfs? Just not sure exactly what multi-state refers to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the OP did not say they were doing MOS they said a button with roll overs, that can be done from the buttons panel.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 6.23.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only preview in InDesign is for EPUB, not PDF. That said, rollover effects are wonky at best and will not work on mobile devices or many third party PDF readers. 

That said, how exactly did you set up the rollover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Buttons and Forms, I created two buttons. I set one to turn on the other "On Rollover" and to turn it off "On Roll Off".  Will this setting only work for an eBook and not a pdf?

Untitled-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work, but again, it's wonky at best and I would never personally use it. I couldn't possibly tell you what's wrong. Could be Acrobat, could be something specific to your computer. Have you tried it on a different machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It doesn't seem to work anywhere. I must be missing something, but not sure what. I feel like it might be a setting in the pdf export since it works perfectly in the EPUB preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will work perfectly with HTML, so use FXL ePub, Publish Online or in5 if you want those features. PDF with bells and whistle won't work since Flash has been dropped by Apple. 

Let's hope PDF2 will be implemented by vendors one day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use File > Export > and select PDF (interactive) as the file type. The PDF presets don't work for interactive PDFs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that in the button palette there's an eye icon next to the rollover state under "Appearance". If there's no icon, the rollover won't show up once it's saved to pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roll-over buttons won't work on tablets and smart phones, they don't have rollover capability – only click

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so I have gone through everyones comments about 'rollover states not working'. I am having the same issue and it is very unprofessional to promise your client something and then it is not possible. We pay a lot of money for our programs and I think if there are tools and actions provided by InDesign then they should work. I have created an interactive floor plan for a client just to find that the buttons get stuck. Please do not supply an action if it does not work. I can not do that for my clients and neither should InDesign do this for their customes. Please note that this is not an Acrobat issue as states in some answers. I publish directly onto my InDesign Dashboard and my file is broken. I see that this problem goes back years. This is unprofessional of InDesign. I have finally created in my project in PPT animatino and it works perfectly. Not the exact same way but at least they what they say can be done, can in actual fact be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should know the PDF specification is not now owned by Adobe.

HTML formats, such as FXL ePub and InDesign's Publish Online, are alternatives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree with above posters comment. i have been successfully using rollovers for the past 2 years as a way to make my pdf's appear more 'interactive'. i had no idea that PDF specification is not owend by adobe. it sure had me fooled, the adobe logo and copyright is all over it. it is just really disappointing to be almost done a project to find out my rollovers no longer work and have to go back and revise the entire thing. sorry but your 'alternatives' are hardly that. i find it laughable that he resorted to going to PowerPoint for the solution to his problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly are you seeing an Adobe logo all over a PDF? If you're talking about Acrobat, that is Adobe's PDF management application.

Adobe turned the PDF format over to ISO around 15 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called, ADOBE Acrobat and it's in the copyright information and part of the ADOBE Creative Cloud. It doesn't matter, it's a poor excuse and the alternatives are deplorable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I strongly suggest you get over it. The entire format sucks and you have apparently done very little research into how things work. Again, the Adobe logo is on Acrobat, not the PDF format.

Now, if you just came to rant, great; I hope you feel better, but if you want to discuss the best way to create your project there are a lot of people here quite capable of helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Publish Online? It supports all of InDesign's interactive features, including rollovers, etc. Though since rollovers don't work on tablets, etc, that may not be your best choice. Anyway, please check out some of the great example documents shown here, which will give you an idea of the possibilities: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the response. in theory publish online is a gem but would never be onboarded by our IT for security reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered in5, an InDesign plug-in (at extra cost): https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, I have had various issues with interactivity with InDesign. I use this a lot for interactive brochures and maps, etc.

PDF is not the best option. But I finally figured out how to with InDesign and onling Indesign publsihing -  works perfectly but you have to use MOS. Multi State Objects:

See youtube for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iEtcx3qbw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a 3-state PDF button with InDesign is a breeze, but you must not use MSO tools, you must use the "Button and forms" tools.

See attachments.

Capture_202.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worth mentioning that this will work with Acrobat or Reader on a desktop but it won't work at all on a mobile device nor will it work on many third party PDF readers. It's also been known to be quite wonky even in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines