Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rollover Buttons Not Working in PDF

Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working with buttons in InDesign. Using Buttons and Forms, I've created a button which on the rollover state, shows a box. When you roll off of the button, the box disappears. In the Interactivity Preview box, the button functions properly. When I export the interactive PDF, nothing happens when I roll over the button in Acrobat. I have the newest versions of all apps. Any suggestions as to why this is not working? If I change the function of the button to open the box on the click, it works fine. Just the rollover function is giving me a problem. Could it be a pdf setting? Thank you.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

The only preview in InDesign is for EPUB, not PDF. That said, rollover effects are wonky at best and will not work on mobile devices or many third party PDF readers. 

That said, how exactly did you set up the rollover.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nor will it work on many third party PDF readers.

It will work with any PDF Reader that support AcroForms specifications.

It's also been known to be quite wonky even in Acrobat.

This is not true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR, you need to read through the many threads here on people that have tried to use buttons. One may work, it may not, but a lot of them in a project doomed to failure, if the creator of these files cannot control the environment that the PDF is to viewed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we agree that it has nothing to do with the buttons or the PDF format.

It's the same for PSD, DOCX, etc., many software can open them but few respect all the specifications of the format and none of them offer the same functions as Photoshop or Word.

The PDF format is a victim of its universality but it can easily be prevented from opening with low-end software that does not support JavaScript and AcroForms. Copy-paste this URL in Google Translate if you cannot read French: https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/ressources-et-tutos/js-et-formulaires-ressources/forcer-utilisation-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I made the same point in my old blog post on Interactive PDF. It is truly a victim of its own success.

I'll check out your post. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The INDD attachment:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really greate solutions and community. thank you all for the discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines